Is Spivak's Calculus Book Too Difficult for an Average Person to Understand?

• Thread starter madah12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of understanding the book "Calculus Fourth Edition" by Spivak. The person is asking for advice on resources or whether they should wait until after graduate studies to understand the material. The other person suggests that understanding calculus requires a conceptual understanding and recommends reviewing algebra and trigonometry. They also suggest using alternative books such as "Calculus Made Easy" or "Lectures on Freshman Calculus". However, the conversation concludes by acknowledging that calculus is a challenging subject regardless of the resources used.
madah12
I can't understand this book!

I have this book calculus fourth edition by spivak but it is too hard for me to comprehend ( yes I am admitting that) i searched the net and other people found it hard too, is there any resource materials that people who took this book think I should get to understand it better? should I wait for after graduate studies for it? or is it a book that requires high iq that an average person like me will have trouble understanding?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Math is a language you are going to have to learn in order to succeed in it. More than just letters, numbers, and symbols...mathematics is a world of logic. Calculus is pretty simple, but you have to understand conceptually what is happening in every problem you do. This will separate the good math students from the rest. As far as understanding the material, you may have to relate back to algebra and gain a truly better understanding of mathematics. Take simple steps in math and make sure you understand it logically. Review your algebra and trig, make sure you understand it and what it represents. I think calculus will look much less complex after doing this. It is about teaching yourself *how to think* rather than really the material itself.

that book treats calculus at the highest level of sophistication, roughly comparable to the analysis courses most majors take as seniors, after completing three or four calculus courses.

there is no need at all to begin there. In general never use a book you cannot read. Any other calculus book almost, will be easier to understand than that one. Try calcuus made easy by silvanus p thompson.

or lectures on freshman calculus by cruse and granberg.

or just browse in the math library.

but really, calculus is never actually easy.

1. Why can't I understand this book?

Understanding a book can be challenging for a variety of reasons. It could be because the subject matter is complex or unfamiliar, the writing style is difficult to follow, or the book is poorly written. It is also possible that you may not have the necessary background knowledge or context to fully understand the book. Consider seeking outside resources, such as a study guide or online forums, to help you better understand the material.

2. What should I do if I can't understand a book I am reading?

If you are struggling to understand a book, don't give up! There are several things you can do to help improve your understanding. Try taking notes while you read, breaking down complex passages into smaller chunks, and using outside resources like study guides or online forums. You can also try discussing the book with others or seeking help from a teacher or tutor.

3. How can I improve my reading comprehension?

Improving your reading comprehension takes practice and patience. Start by choosing books that are appropriate for your reading level and interests. As you read, try to make connections between the text and your own experiences or knowledge. Take notes, ask questions, and actively engage with the material. Over time, your reading comprehension will improve.

4. What if I don't have enough time to fully understand the book?

If you are pressed for time, try to focus on the main ideas and key concepts of the book. Skim through the chapters and read chapter summaries or summaries of the book online. You can also try finding a condensed version of the book, such as a podcast or video summary, to help you understand the main points.

5. Is it normal to not understand a book?

Yes, it is completely normal to struggle with understanding a book. Remember, everyone learns at their own pace and some books may be more challenging than others. Don't get discouraged and keep trying different strategies to help improve your understanding. You may also find it helpful to discuss the book with others or seek guidance from a teacher or tutor.