Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I demand nice crushed ice!

1. Sep 1, 2009 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Does anyone go to Sonic Drive Thru? Man, they have some awesome crushed ice! The ice is a little under a cubic cm each, small, and I love it! Is there anyway to get ice like this at home? Some sort of super perfect ice crusher made from the most high tech, cutting edge materials man has ever known?

or something?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2009 #2
    My mother is addicted to it. When I lived close to them she would always ask me to drive to Sonic, grab her a couple of bags of their ice, and drop it off. She would just sit there for hours on their porch eating crushed ice out of a cup. The dogs love it too.

4. Sep 1, 2009 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Really? My friend said that his wife asked him to go to sonic one day to get some of their ice. I thought it was a joke. You can really buy ice from them???

5. Sep 1, 2009 #4
    I have never seen a Sonic although I hear about it often. I think there is one in Washington. You can buy ice trays with atypical shapes though. This might suffice.

6. Sep 1, 2009 #5
    Oh yeah. It's not pricey either. Almost exactly $2 for a 10lb bag.

7. Sep 1, 2009 #6
    I always liked those refrigerators with the crushed ice dispenser.

8. Sep 1, 2009 #7
    I thought we weren't supposed to talk about anything illegal on this forum...

9. Sep 1, 2009 #8
    Guys I think the squares are on to us.

10. Sep 1, 2009 #9

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I thought penguins prefer ice in large sheets.

11. Sep 1, 2009 #10
    Our crushed ice from the fridge sucks. It comes out in unpredictable sizes, from half a cube to tiny pieces that melt in an instant. So we just use the full cubes from the dispenser.

I personally like my crushed ice REALLY crushed (although admittedly, unless your drink is already cold it will get watered down)... something like this:
    http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/FDC/FDC005/crushed-ice-shaker_~949085.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  12. Sep 1, 2009 #11

turbo

Gold Member

We have a very heavy-duty old Osterizer (blender) and it makes wonderful crushed ice in seconds. No need to buy it - just throw in a handful of cubes and "whizzz".

13. Sep 1, 2009 #12
    I hate crushed ice...because the water used to make ice always tastes like its been sitting in an old pipe, and crushed ice just contaminates the flavor faster

14. Sep 1, 2009 #13

Evo

Good crushed ice is made from purified water and has no refrigerator taste. You can buy ice crushers, but the quality of the ice and how it's been stored makes a huge difference.

They just built a new Sonic down the road from me. :!!)

15. Sep 1, 2009 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good crushed ice is made from good ice. :biggrin:

I actually don't like crushed ice in my drinks. It's too hard to drink around the ice. If something isn't cold and needs to be cold (I can manage with drinks that are warm most of the time), I prefer ice cubes. And, of course crushed ice is useless for making martinis.

16. Sep 1, 2009 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Pff, i LOVE drinking some of the crushed ice along with the actual drink. Its mmm mmmm good!

17. Sep 1, 2009 #16

Evo

I love the crushed ice too.

18. Sep 1, 2009 #17
    The ice is good... like it tastes good? What the heck is in this stuff.

I hate putting ice in my drinks If I want it cold I put it in the freezer for 20-30 minutes. If I want there to be ice in it I leave it in the freezer for 1-1.5 hrs. Done.

19. Sep 2, 2009 #18

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I am an ice cube man. I won't drink a drink that isn't near freezing. This is why I still buy my drinks at MacDonalds and never buy bottles from the store. Crushed ice is OK but it liquifies too fast.

20. Sep 2, 2009 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It would be easier to make little tiny ice cubes. Molded plastic should do. Maybe you could try ruining some tupperware and a waffle maker. You might even be able to buy some appropriately-molded plastic off the shelf.

21. Sep 3, 2009 #20

Mk

Man, I like my drinks cold. Below normal freezing temperature, if possible.

That crushed ice at Sonic is so good because you can swallow and crush the ice in your mouth with the drink. :!!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook