Are there any walk-in options at Sonic Drive Thru?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice
In summary, Sonic Drive Thru offers a great way to get small pieces of crushed ice for drinks. You can also buy ice crushers, but the quality of the ice and how it's been stored makes a huge difference.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Does anyone go to Sonic Drive Thru? Man, they have some awesome crushed ice! The ice is a little under a cubic cm each, small, and I love it! Is there anyway to get ice like this at home? Some sort of super perfect ice crusher made from the most high tech, cutting edge materials man has ever known?

or something?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pengwuino said:
Does anyone go to Sonic Drive Thru? Man, they have some awesome crushed ice! The ice is a little under a cubic cm each, small, and I love it! Is there anyway to get ice like this at home? Some sort of super perfect ice crusher made from the most high tech, cutting edge materials man has ever known?

or something?

Thanks!

My mother is addicted to it. When I lived close to them she would always ask me to drive to Sonic, grab her a couple of bags of their ice, and drop it off. She would just sit there for hours on their porch eating crushed ice out of a cup. The dogs love it too.

Really? My friend said that his wife asked him to go to sonic one day to get some of their ice. I thought it was a joke. You can really buy ice from them?

I have never seen a Sonic although I hear about it often. I think there is one in Washington. You can buy ice trays with atypical shapes though. This might suffice.

Pengwuino said:
Really? My friend said that his wife asked him to go to sonic one day to get some of their ice. I thought it was a joke. You can really buy ice from them?

Oh yeah. It's not pricey either. Almost exactly $2 for a 10lb bag.

I always liked those refrigerators with the crushed ice dispenser.

Is there anyway to get ice like this at home?

My mother is addicted to it.

You can really buy ice from them?

Oh yeah. It's not pricey either. Almost exactly $2 for a 10lb bag.

I thought we weren't supposed to talk about anything illegal on this forum...

Guys I think the squares are on to us.

Pengwuino said:
awesome crushed ice!

I thought penguins prefer ice in large sheets.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I always liked those refrigerators with the crushed ice dispenser.

Our crushed ice from the fridge sucks. It comes out in unpredictable sizes, from half a cube to tiny pieces that melt in an instant. So we just use the full cubes from the dispenser.

I personally like my crushed ice REALLY crushed (although admittedly, unless your drink is already cold it will get watered down)... something like this:
http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/FDC/FDC005/crushed-ice-shaker_~949085.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a very heavy-duty old Osterizer (blender) and it makes wonderful crushed ice in seconds. No need to buy it - just throw in a handful of cubes and "whizzz".

I hate crushed ice...because the water used to make ice always tastes like its been sitting in an old pipe, and crushed ice just contaminates the flavor faster

Good crushed ice is made from purified water and has no refrigerator taste. You can buy ice crushers, but the quality of the ice and how it's been stored makes a huge difference.

They just built a new Sonic down the road from me. :!)

Good crushed ice is made from good ice. :biggrin:

I actually don't like crushed ice in my drinks. It's too hard to drink around the ice. If something isn't cold and needs to be cold (I can manage with drinks that are warm most of the time), I prefer ice cubes. And, of course crushed ice is useless for making martinis.

Moonbear said:
G
I actually don't like crushed ice in my drinks. It's too hard to drink around the ice.

Pff, i LOVE drinking some of the crushed ice along with the actual drink. Its mmm mmmm good!

Pengwuino said:
Pff, i LOVE drinking some of the crushed ice along with the actual drink. Its mmm mmmm good!
I love the crushed ice too.

The ice is good... like it tastes good? What the heck is in this stuff.

I hate putting ice in my drinks If I want it cold I put it in the freezer for 20-30 minutes. If I want there to be ice in it I leave it in the freezer for 1-1.5 hrs. Done.

I am an ice cube man. I won't drink a drink that isn't near freezing. This is why I still buy my drinks at MacDonalds and never buy bottles from the store. Crushed ice is OK but it liquifies too fast.

Pengwuino said:

or something?

Thanks!

It would be easier to make little tiny ice cubes. Molded plastic should do. Maybe you could try ruining some tupperware and a waffle maker. You might even be able to buy some appropriately-molded plastic off the shelf.

DaveC426913 said:
I am an ice cube man. I won't drink a drink that isn't near freezing. This is why I still buy my drinks at MacDonalds and never buy bottles from the store. Crushed ice is OK but it liquifies too fast.

Man, I like my drinks cold. Below normal freezing temperature, if possible.

That crushed ice at Sonic is so good because you can swallow and crush the ice in your mouth with the drink. :!)

Gee, I guess I'd finally better try the Sonic that opened last spring, a ten-minute walk from my office and right across the street from the pizza joint where I pig out a couple times a month. Is there a place where you can walk in and order, or do you have to drive up? I'd feel kind of silly standing in one of those parking spaces next to a menu and speaker/microphone, waiting for my order. :redface:

I hate ice, just store the drinks in the refrigerator and it will be cold.

jtbell said:
Gee, I guess I'd finally better try the Sonic that opened last spring, a ten-minute walk from my office and right across the street from the pizza joint where I pig out a couple times a month. Is there a place where you can walk in and order, or do you have to drive up? I'd feel kind of silly standing in one of those parking spaces next to a menu and speaker/microphone, waiting for my order. :redface:

The two sonics in my town both have the parking spaces with the speakers, a drive through, and an outdoor area with tables where you can sit and eat. I don't think there's a traditional "fast food" walk in area where you can sit down inside.

They're going for the retro drive-in feel. Some of the waitresses even wear roller skates.

1. What is a walk-in option at Sonic Drive Thru?

A walk-in option at Sonic Drive Thru allows customers to park their car and walk up to the drive-thru window to place their order and receive their food. This is typically used by customers who do not have a car or do not want to wait in the drive-thru line.

2. Are all Sonic Drive Thrus equipped with a walk-in option?

No, not all Sonic Drive Thrus have a walk-in option. It varies by location and is typically only available at larger locations with more foot traffic.

3. How do I place an order using the walk-in option at Sonic Drive Thru?

To use the walk-in option, simply park your car in a designated spot and walk up to the drive-thru window. Press the button to speak with a Sonic employee and place your order. You will then receive your food at the window.

4. Can I use the walk-in option for all menu items at Sonic Drive Thru?

Yes, you can use the walk-in option for all menu items at Sonic Drive Thru. However, some locations may have limitations on certain items during busy hours.

5. Is the walk-in option at Sonic Drive Thru faster than the drive-thru line?

The walk-in option may be faster than the drive-thru line during busy hours, but it ultimately depends on the location and the number of customers using the walk-in option. It is recommended to check the wait times for both options before deciding which one to use.