1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I did a but I can't for b c d

1. Nov 22, 2008 #1
    A satellite of mass 59.0 Kg is being pulled out of orbit by 450.0?
    1- A satellite of mass 59.0 Kg is being pulled out of orbit by 450.0 Netwons of gravity. Small thrusters are used to maneuver the satellite back to its orbite.
    a)What thrust would cause the satellite to move with a constant velocity?

Find the accerleration of the satellite in response to the following thrusts:
    b) 205 N up c) 205 N down d) 205 N right.

I found the a that is 450 N. However, I do not for b-c-d could someone help me please

b) 205-450= 59 a a=-4.9 m/s^2 the acceleration down.
    c) -205-450=59 a a=-13.1 m/s^2 a goes down
    d)205-450=59 a=-4.2m/s^2 a goes down too

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You really need to start showing your attempt at a solution before getting more help here.

You must know something about the relation between force and acceleration.

4. Nov 23, 2008 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay, that's the sort of thing you need to do when you first post the question. Or rather, when you post questions in the future.

(b) and (c) are pretty close. Looks like you just used the wrong mass when you calculated a.

(d) Not right. Remember that acceleration is a vector. How do vectors get added?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?