Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I did it, can You?

1. Dec 28, 2003 #1
    If I did something, does that mean you can too? Or can you do something that no one else can do or has tried to do? Let's see, tell us what you did or can do that is special or unique. Let's see what talents are out there.

Here's what I did:

From the start of my very first flying lesson until I had my Private Pilot's license, year 1962, was exactly 48 days.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2003 #2
    I can lick my elbow.
  4. Dec 28, 2003 #3
    I can lick my own nose.
  5. Dec 28, 2003 #4
    I would tell you what I can lick, but it'd only make you feel ill
  6. Dec 28, 2003 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I grew my hair long, down 'till my waist, will you?
  7. Dec 28, 2003 #6
    I can recite the English alphabet forwards AND backwards after downing 7 bottles of Heineken.

I can also work University-level Physics while drunk but I guess anybody can do that... :frown:

I can impersonate a good percentage of the professors at my college with amazing accuracy (I can do that both drunk and sober).
  8. Dec 28, 2003 #7
    Talk to my mother. She's against me having long hair and facial hair.

Even though I have a beard now and my hair is growing pretty long, it's hard to get by my mother.
  9. Dec 28, 2003 #8
    I can sympathise. I managed to grow a 3 inch long beard over the summer. It didn't go down well with many people. Some just have no taste.

I keep trying for long hair, but I get sick of the mullet stage inbetween short and long hair. Any hair tips?
  10. Dec 28, 2003 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, that's the worst.

I've got shoulder length hair which I've had since high school. I am sick of it, but I'm afraid to cut it off because growing it out is so nasty (in case I change my mind).

What I did in high school was wear a baseball cap. All the time.
  11. Dec 28, 2003 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One of my proudest moments in college was not in physics [though there were one or two] but in a political science class. While handing out our newly graded term papers, 1/2 the grade for the class, and then after asking who I was, and then announcing that I had the top grade in the class, the professor announced to everyone that I was scary. Funny, my mother used to say that.

Edit: OK, mom didn't really say that... I think she used other words that the PF editer wouldn't allow.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2003
  12. Dec 28, 2003 #11
    I can eat, do homework, talk on a phone and get on to the internet at the same time!
  13. Dec 28, 2003 #12
    I can sing the following song vivace:

I am the very model of a modern Major General,
    I've information ve-ge-ta-ble, animal, and mineral,
    I know the Kings of England; I can quote the fights historical,
    From Marathon to Waterloo, in order catagorical.

I am very well acquainted, too, with matters mathematical,
    I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,
    About binomiel theorem I am teaming with alot of news,
    With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypoteneuse.

And I can write a washing bill in Babylonic Cuneiform,
    And tell you every detail of Caratucus' uniform,
    In short; in matters veg-e-ta-ble, animal, and mineral,
    I am the very model of a modern Major General.

14. Dec 29, 2003 #13
    So can Side-Show Bob.
    What else you got?
  15. Dec 29, 2003 #14
    Your boats not even in the water and you're accusing me of sandbagging?
  16. Dec 29, 2003 #15
    Why deprive someone with no unique talents of his own the hollow joy of bringing down the achievements of those more talented than he?
  17. Dec 29, 2003 #16
    I won't. Instead I will offer you this song to use as the description of your talent:

If you listen very carefully, I'll tell you what I am.
    I'm a genuine philanthropist,
    all other kinds are sham.
    Each little fault of temper,
    and each social defect
    In my erring fellow creatures
    I endeavor to correct.

To all their little weaknesses I open peoples eyes,
    And little plans to snub the self sufficient I devise,
    I love my fellow creatures,
    I do all the good I can,
    Yet everybody says I'm such a disagreeable man.

And I can't think why!

18. Dec 29, 2003 #17
    I grew up on a farm, no other kids my age around, only my brothers. My brothers and I used to make weapons. Staff, bow, crossbow, sling, sligshot. We'd run around in the bush having war games, and fight with each other. Many bruises.

I could hit a chicken with my sling stones at a hundred yards. Yeah, it's mean, but I was just a little kid.
  19. Dec 29, 2003 #18
    Actually, that is pretty accurate.

I am even planning to write a book telling everybody about thier faults and short comings and providing convincing explanations why.
    (to be fair, the last chapter is going to be aimed at me.)

I guess that's my unique talent.
    The ability to aim the probe of my excruciatingly high standards and the judgemental opinions & constructive criticisms* that inevitably follow at myself objectively.

*Aren't all criticisms constructive in thier own right?
  20. Dec 29, 2003 #19
    I can lodge my thumb at the back of my hand at a 90 degree angle. Not really a crowning achievement, but only two other people I know can do it.

I am also proud of the fact that I scored 7 out of 10 possible points for homework during the previous school term despite not having done ANY homework at all. :)
  21. Dec 29, 2003 #20
    Now that is talent.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?