1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs I did not major in Physics PhD?

1. Apr 13, 2009 #1
    I did not major in Physics....PhD?

Ok, so I recently took the intro to Physics sequence and fell in love. But I am graduating with a Philosophy major, and a math minor.

I know I need to take the required physics courses after I graduate, but will this look bad to admissions people? Not having a physics major listed might raise red flags. Also, the grades will not be factored in to my GPA on my transcript, which could use a boost.

Does anyone have any recommendations and/or comments? Also, what is the best way to go about this financially?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2009 #2
  4. Apr 13, 2009 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Re: I did not major in Physics....PhD?

That's probably not a good sign...

5. Apr 13, 2009 #4

I know some places offer a "second bachelors" program, where you can earn a bachelors degree in another field.

For example, here's a page from the school I'm transferring to: http://www.towson.edu/physics/physics/PHYS_SECDEG.asp

From that site:

I'm sure every university will be different, but do some research and find a university that has a program like that, and just get a second degree.

6. Apr 14, 2009 #5

That's probably the best option. Do you know if Umass Amherst allows second bachelors? Since it's my state school, I'd like to go there to save some money.

Another question: say my overall GPA is 3.3 when I apply, but my Physics GPA is like 3.9 or 3.8. Would I have a chance at the top schools in the country in experimental physics? Or is the overall GPA more important?

7. Apr 21, 2009 #6

does anyone know any other programs like Towson?

8. Apr 21, 2009 #7

If you've just completed the intro sequence, then the 3.8-9 doesn't mean much. Take the quantum, electrodynamics, and classical mechanics sequences and maintain your GPA.

9. Apr 21, 2009 #8

No, I mean if I obtain that GPA after those courses, will I be a good candidate at top schools, even with a 3.3 ish overall GPA?

10. Apr 21, 2009 #9

Maybe looking at the profiles of students applying to grad school will help you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook