Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I didn't see that one coming

1. Jun 18, 2008 #1

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2008 #2

Gold Member

I assume this pic was NOT taken right after you saw the original prices? It looks as if you left the items in the cart for awhile, thus the price change.
  4. Jun 18, 2008 #3
    I'm afraid not. I checked the price two ago and it was at $70.

5. Jun 18, 2008 #4
    Did you at least add gift wrapping and a note? Thats highway robbery!
  6. Jun 18, 2008 #5
    Why do you think the price increased?
  7. Jun 18, 2008 #6
    Inflation for sure ! ;-)
  8. Jun 18, 2008 #7
    Bezos wants to buy a new house or something, so he's jacking the price up for a while...No, he's actually a pretty cool guy from what I've seen in interviews.
  9. Jun 18, 2008 #8
    Inflation doesn't increase a price from 70$ to 220$
  10. Jun 18, 2008 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm so glad I found the textbook for my next class at the library today! Saved me $110.
  11. Jun 18, 2008 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you happen to find it during an amazing sale of some sort? Otherwise, I wonder why it jumped so much in price so quickly. Did books on evolution suddenly become collector's items? :bugeye:
  12. Jun 18, 2008 #11
    I found mine last semester. Everything went fine during the semester but just few days before the exam someone else requested it :grumpy:
    I just got screwed with my timings near the semester end. I wanted to drop the book 20 days before the exam and then borrow it again within an hour for next 20 days but I just slacked off

I am learning the borrowing tactics - knowing when to return, request, and renew books.
  13. Jun 18, 2008 #12

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is my first time borrowing a textbook from the school library. It's only a 6-week class and I'm supposedly able to renew the book on the library website in two weeks when it comes due. Hope it works.
  14. Jun 18, 2008 #13
    Evolution at work Moridin.

God says the price of the bible is $29.99. The price has be transcribed for thousands of years and has never changed. That should tell you a little sometin-sometin.

Now, of course you could also go the middle eastern route and haggle down the price on your torah/koran.

Q:God, how much for this book?
    A: $29.99
    Q: Ok, how about $20?
    A: How about I send you to hell?
    Q: OK, FINE, $25.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  15. Jun 18, 2008 #14
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  16. Jun 18, 2008 #15
    my Taiwanese friend got me 150$ new book for 30$ from Taiwan but the shipping costs were like $30.
  17. Jun 18, 2008 #16
    Is the book the international toilet-paper version though?
  18. Jun 18, 2008 #17
    did you want that specific version? I may be able to find that for you, cyrus
  19. Jun 18, 2008 #18
    There are international copies of books that come with this extra cheap paper back. The paper is almost as bad as toilet paper. If you hold it to the light you can see right through it and read the letters on the other side. Did he get this version, or was it the good hard-cover USA version?
  20. Jun 18, 2008 #19
    Yea, I know. I read somewhere in news that students buy books from India for very cheap prices but the paper quality is awfully poor.

But, mine one was really good. Exactly same as hard-cover Canadian version.
  21. Jun 18, 2008 #20
    Even for $30 bucks, the bangladesh version is a rip off because its so utterly useless. I cant imagine them lasting more than a year before falling appart and tearing.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?