Is There Snobism in the Fields of Math and Physics?

• Thread starter eljose79
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker has sent papers to various webpages and universities but has not received any responses. They believe there is snobism in the fields of math and physics and that their work is not being taken seriously. They feel that real scientists should take the time to read and provide feedback on their work, rather than dismissing it without consideration.
eljose79
In fact i have sent papers to several webpages but i did not receive an answer...only one time saying.."we have read your job and when we decide publishing or not we will send you a mail"..well it was a month ago and i have not got and answer..other times i have sned letters to universities and the same thing happened ..i did not get any answer..¿do you still think there is not snobism in maths and physics?..in fact the only thing i wanted is that they took a time to read my jobs and decide if they were right or not..nothing else it seems they were to busy as to answer me (after waiting months on end).

I do not imagine what are waiting for if they only want some genious with an important name to solve all they problems but i do not see they encourage young people with their ideas..i only see they have some special circle of snobs and do not want someone else...it is a bad thing to have these prejudges i think a real scientist should take care in watching other,s work and at least to tell them if it is right or not..i presume people who sent my jobs did not even take a look at them...what arrogant are they¡

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I assume when you say "I disagree with you" you are referring to me although since you chose to open an entirely new subject it's difficult to tell.

Apparently, then, by "snob" YOU mean someone who is not willing to do what you want him to do.

If you send an unsolicited letter to someone you don't know, you are imposing upon his time and it is perfectly reasonable for him to choose not to spend any more time on it than is required to read it and decide not to respond.

As far as sending a paper to "webpages" is concerned, I can't imagine why anyone who felt they had an important contribution to mathematics would do so. If it's worth working on, send it to a real journal.

I can understand your frustration and disappointment with not receiving responses from the webpages and universities you sent your papers to. It is certainly concerning that they have not taken the time to read and consider your work. However, I do not believe this is necessarily a reflection of snobism in the fields of math and physics.

There could be a variety of reasons for not receiving responses, such as the volume of submissions they receive, limited resources, or simply being too busy to respond. It is important to keep in mind that these individuals and organizations have their own priorities and limitations, and it is not fair to assume that they are being intentionally snobbish.

In addition, it is not fair to generalize and label all mathematicians and physicists as snobs based on your personal experiences. There are many individuals in these fields who are open-minded and willing to consider new ideas from young researchers.

While it is disappointing to not receive responses, it is important to not let this discourage you from pursuing your passion and sharing your work with others. Keep striving and don't let the actions of a few individuals discourage you from your goals.

What do you mean when you say "I do not agree with you"?

When I say "I do not agree with you", it means that I have a different viewpoint or opinion on the subject at hand.

Why do people say "I do not agree with you"?

People say "I do not agree with you" because they have a differing perspective or belief on a certain topic or issue.

What should I do if someone says "I do not agree with you"?

If someone says "I do not agree with you", it's important to listen to their reasoning and try to understand their perspective. It's okay to have different opinions and it's important to have respectful discussions.

Is saying "I do not agree with you" a bad thing?

No, saying "I do not agree with you" is not necessarily a bad thing. It's a way to express a differing viewpoint and engage in healthy discussions and debates.

How can I handle it when someone says "I do not agree with you"?

To handle it when someone says "I do not agree with you", it's important to remain calm and respectful. Try to understand their perspective and have a constructive conversation. It's okay to agree to disagree and move on from the topic if necessary.