I don't get scalar product?

In summary, the scalar product of Vector A and Vector B is 13.00. However, the formula used to calculate it was incorrect, as it called for the wrong angle and produced the magnitude of the vector product instead.
elpermic

Homework Statement

Find the scalar product of the 2 vectors.
Vector A is north of east at 70 degrees with a magnitude of 3.60m
Vector B is south of west at 30 degrees with a magnitude of 2.40m

Homework Equations

ABcosx

The Attempt at a Solution

I did dot product using the formula, 3.60x2.40xcos(-100) and got the wrong answer.. The answer is 13.00. What the hell did I do wrong? I did as the formula said I should do and failed. I don't get it??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
elpermic said:
Vector A is north of east at 70 degrees …
Vector B is south of west at 30 degrees …

I did dot product using the formula, 3.60x2.40xcos(-100) …

Hi elpermic! :smile:

It ain't 100. :wink:

elpermic said:
I did dot product using the formula, 3.60x2.40xcos(-100) and got the wrong answer.. The answer is 13.00.
(1) The formula calls for the angle between the two vectors. That angle is not 100°. (Draw a diagram.)
(2) The answer cannot be 13.

1. What is scalar product?

Scalar product, also known as dot product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and returns a scalar quantity. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the two vectors by the cosine of the angle between them.

2. How is scalar product different from vector product?

Scalar product is a scalar quantity, meaning it has only magnitude and no direction. Vector product, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that has both magnitude and direction.

3. What is the significance of scalar product in physics?

Scalar product is used in physics to calculate the work done by a force, or the component of a force in a certain direction. It is also used in calculating the angle between two vectors, and in finding the projection of one vector onto another.

4. What are some real life applications of scalar product?

Some common applications of scalar product include calculating the amount of force needed to move an object, determining the distance between two objects, and finding the angle of elevation or depression in trigonometry problems.

5. How is scalar product related to the Law of Cosines?

The scalar product can be used to derive the Law of Cosines, which is a fundamental trigonometric law used to find the length of a side or the measure of an angle in a triangle. It relates the lengths of the sides of a triangle to the cosine of one of its angles.