Finding the Right Adhesive for Affixing Myocardial Tissue to Polyethylene Tubing

• Thread starter tandoorichicken
  • Start date
In summary, a researcher needs an adhesive to affix a snippet of cardiac tissue to some polyethylene tubing; any ideas? Some popular choices are cyanoacrylate (sometimes branded as super glue) and duct tape.
tandoorichicken
Ahem... no pun intended. :tongue2:

Actually, I need an adhesive to affix a snippet of myocardial tissue to some polyethylene tubing. Any ideas?

Biology news on Phys.org
Have you tried cyanoacrylate (sometimes branded as super glue)?
Some are meant for "medical" applications and bind to tissue very readily.

e.g., Ethicon's Dermabond

I'd also first consider the cyanoacrylates. In addition to the one-part adhesives that require some drying time, they're also available as two-part adhesives, so you can get nearly instant bonding as soon as you mix the two components. It'll work for tissue, I'm not sure if it will work as well on the PE tubing. That stuff is notoriously "slippery."

I'll run the dermabond/cyanoacrylate idea by my superiors... will it change the mechanical properties of the tissue?

Yes - at the point of attachment, but if you meant will it propagate thru the tissue, I have no idea. Since it's used on humans where progagating new properties into surrounding tissue is a no-no, I'm guessing it will not.

You need to hit the company literature...

HOw about that stuff they sell for treating cuts? Some call it liquid bandage, or "Newskin".

I'm with MoonBear on the PE tubing.
Nothing I know of really sticks to it.
Could be you would be better off plugging a short bit of glass into the tubing and fixing the sample to that.

Well, my lab is going to order some and find out. Best way to find out I suppose. It should work, judging from the fact that super glue is also a cyanoacrylate glue. I found out that the liquid skins used in hospitals are just molecularly heavier versions of super glue. I'll let you all in on the results once we try it out.

1. What is the best type of adhesive for affixing myocardial tissue to polyethylene tubing?

The best type of adhesive for this specific application would be a medical-grade cyanoacrylate adhesive, also known as "super glue". This type of adhesive has been shown to have strong bonding capabilities with both organic and synthetic materials, making it ideal for attaching tissue to tubing.

2. Can I use any type of glue for this application?

No, it is important to use a specialized adhesive that is safe for medical use and has been tested for compatibility with both the tissue and tubing materials. Using the wrong type of adhesive could compromise the integrity of the tissue and potentially cause harm to the patient.

3. How can I ensure a strong bond between the tissue and tubing?

Proper surface preparation is key to achieving a strong bond between the tissue and tubing. Both surfaces should be clean and free of any oils, dirt, or moisture. Using a primer or surface treatment can also improve adhesion.

4. Is it necessary to use an adhesive for attaching the tissue to the tubing?

In most cases, yes, an adhesive is necessary to securely attach the tissue to the polyethylene tubing. However, if the tissue and tubing materials are compatible and have a snug fit, it may be possible to use a mechanical attachment method such as clips or clamps.

5. Are there any safety considerations when using adhesives for this application?

Yes, it is important to follow all safety precautions and guidelines when handling adhesives, as they can be toxic and flammable. Additionally, it is crucial to use the adhesive in a well-ventilated area and to wear appropriate personal protective equipment.