I don't know how I got "mysterious energy" in a Carnot heat pump

In summary: If so, then the answer is yes, you can use the available energy from the cold reservoir to heat the substance up.
Philip Robotic
Homework Statement
Calculate the heat Q_H that a Carnot heat pump can deliver to the reservoir with a temperature T_H. Temperature of lower reservoir (T_L) and work (W, W>0) are given
Relevant Equations
Equations come from Carnot refrigeration cycle
1. |W|=|Q_H|-|Q_L|
2. K=|Q_L|/|W|
So first I transformed the equation no 2 like this:
$$|Q_L|=K\cdot|W|$$
And then I transformed the first equation to find ##|Q_Z|##
$$|Q_L|=|Q_H|-|W|$$
Plugging the result into the first equation
$$|Q_H|=K\cdot |W|+|W|$$
$$|Q_H|=|W|\cdot (K+1)$$
We know that the efficiency coefficient K is greater than 0, so how is it possible that the energy "pumped" into the hot reservoir (##Q_H##) is greater than the work that was put into the system?

Physics news on Phys.org
Philip Robotic said:
Homework Statement: Calculate the heat Q_H that a Carnot heat pump can deliver to the reservoir with a temperature T_H. Temperature of lower reservoir (T_L) and work (W, W>0) are given
Homework Equations: Equations come from Carnot refrigeration cycle
1. |W|=|Q_H|-|Q_L|
2. K=|Q_L|/|W|

So first I transformed the equation no 2 like this:
$$|Q_L|=K\cdot|W|$$
And then I transformed the first equation to find ##|Q_Z|##
$$|Q_L|=|Q_H|-|W|$$
Plugging the result into the first equation
$$|Q_H|=K\cdot |W|+|W|$$
$$|Q_H|=|W|\cdot (K+1)$$
We know that the efficiency coefficient K is greater than 0, so how is it possible that the energy "pumped" into the hot reservoir (##Q_H##) is greater than the work that was put into the system?
The heat to the hot reservoir is the work that was put into the system plus the heat that is pumped from the cold reservoir.

Likes Philip Robotic
So I will be able to heat up a certain substance more by using a Carnot Heat Pump than by theoretically converting all the available energy to heat? Do I understand it correctly?

Philip Robotic said:
So I will be able to heat up a certain substance more by using a Carnot Heat Pump than by theoretically converting all the available energy to heat? Do I understand it correctly?
There is also energy available from the cold reservoir, and you’re using some of that too.

Likes Philip Robotic
Did you use the information that it is a Carnot cycle?

1. What is a Carnot heat pump?

A Carnot heat pump is a type of heat pump that uses the Carnot cycle to transfer heat from a lower temperature reservoir to a higher temperature reservoir. It is a theoretical concept and is considered to be the most efficient heat pump possible.

2. How does a Carnot heat pump work?

A Carnot heat pump works by using a reversible cycle to transfer heat from a cold reservoir to a hot reservoir. This is accomplished by compressing a gas, transferring heat to it from the cold reservoir, and then expanding the gas to release heat to the hot reservoir.

3. What is "mysterious energy" in a Carnot heat pump?

The term "mysterious energy" is often used to describe the energy that seems to appear out of nowhere in a Carnot heat pump. This energy is actually a result of the heat transfer process and is not truly mysterious or unexplainable.

4. How can "mysterious energy" occur in a Carnot heat pump?

The mystery surrounding the "mysterious energy" in a Carnot heat pump is often due to a misunderstanding of the thermodynamic principles at play. The energy is not created out of nothing, but rather is a result of the transfer of heat from one reservoir to another.

5. Is "mysterious energy" beneficial or harmful in a Carnot heat pump?

The "mysterious energy" in a Carnot heat pump is neither beneficial nor harmful. It is simply a result of the heat transfer process and does not affect the efficiency or functioning of the heat pump. In fact, the presence of this energy is necessary for the heat pump to work properly.