Calculating Velocity and Angle of a Plane with Wind Gusts

• Thread starter ProctorPlayer
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a plane flying east at 500km/h and a gust of wind going up at a 30 degree angle north of east with a speed of 120km/h. The question is asking for the velocity and angle of the plane. The solution involves using vector addition to find the resultant velocity and the angle of deviation from the original eastward path. The diagram provided by the student shows two connected triangles, one being a right triangle and the other having an angle of 150 degrees. The use of trigonometry and the Pythagorean theorem can help solve the problem.
ProctorPlayer

Homework Statement

a plane flies east @ 500km/h. a gust of wind @ 120km/h goes up at a 30 degree angle north of east. what is the velocity and angle of the plane

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about vectors?
Did you draw a diagram?

Help us help you.

Casey

well...

I know a little about vectors. I did draw a diagram and came very close in my drawing. Basically I had two triangles that were connected. one was a right triangle with the lower angle being 30 degrees and the other triangle was connected to that at the base and the middle angle was 150. (In accordance with the 30 degree). I used trig to get the initial velocities of both the Xworld and the Yworld. I don't know what else to say other than I asked my teacher and he said that the answer had square roots in it. hope you guys can help.

Are you sure it's 2 triangles or one? It would be helpful if you could post your vector drawing on the board.

If it's one triangle then you can apply the Pythagoras theorem and get the answer pretty easily. The plane would be moving east and the wind would be acting at right angles from the north. It forms a right-angled triangle.

From there you can find the resultant vector.

With the wind acting, the plane wouldn't be flying straight east but as a resultant. Then you can find the angle, which should be its deviation from the path due east.

I might be wrong; if you could post your diagram it'd be a big help. :)

Last edited:

1. How can I learn to do this?

The best way to learn how to do something is by practicing it. Try breaking down the task into smaller, more manageable steps and focus on one step at a time. You can also seek guidance from someone who is experienced in the subject or use online resources such as tutorials or instructional videos.

2. What if I make a mistake?

Mistakes are a natural part of the learning process. Instead of being afraid of making a mistake, embrace it as an opportunity to learn and improve. Analyze the mistake, figure out where you went wrong, and use that knowledge to do better next time.

3. Can I ask for help?

Absolutely! Asking for help is not a sign of weakness. In fact, seeking guidance from others can help you learn faster and avoid making mistakes. Don't be afraid to reach out to a mentor, teacher, or colleague for assistance when you are stuck.

4. What if I don't understand the instructions?

If the instructions are unclear, try breaking them down into simpler terms or rephrasing them in your own words. You can also do some research or ask for clarification from someone who is knowledgeable in the subject. Don't be afraid to admit that you don't understand something – it's better to ask for clarification than to struggle with a task.

5. How long will it take me to learn how to do this?

The time it takes to learn how to do something varies for each person and depends on the complexity of the task. Some people may pick it up quickly, while others may need more time and practice. Don't be discouraged if it takes you longer than expected – everyone learns at their own pace.