1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I don't know how to do this

1. Oct 16, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a plane flies east @ 500km/h. a gust of wind @ 120km/h goes up at a 30 degree angle north of east. what is the velocity and angle of the plane

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2007 #2
    What do you know about vectors?
    Did you draw a diagram?

Help us help you.

4. Oct 16, 2007 #3

I know a little about vectors. I did draw a diagram and came very close in my drawing. Basically I had two triangles that were connected. one was a right triangle with the lower angle being 30 degrees and the other triangle was connected to that at the base and the middle angle was 150. (In accordance with the 30 degree). I used trig to get the initial velocities of both the Xworld and the Yworld. I dont know what else to say other than I asked my teacher and he said that the answer had square roots in it. hope you guys can help.
  5. Oct 16, 2007 #4
    Are you sure it's 2 triangles or one? It would be helpful if you could post your vector drawing on the board.

If it's one triangle then you can apply the Pythagoras theorem and get the answer pretty easily. The plane would be moving east and the wind would be acting at right angles from the north. It forms a right-angled triangle.

From there you can find the resultant vector.

With the wind acting, the plane wouldn't be flying straight east but as a resultant. Then you can find the angle, which should be its deviation from the path due east.

I might be wrong; if you could post your diagram it'd be a big help. :)
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?