1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I don't know how to find the four square roots of an elliptic curve modulo a prime

1. Jul 19, 2012 #1
    So there are four square roots for an elliptic curve represented by an equation something like this: y^2 = x^3 + x + 6 (mod 5)

How would one go about calculating these?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2012 #2
    Re: I don't know how to find the four square roots of an elliptic curve modulo a prim

To begin with, why not write the equation in modulo 5?
    [tex]y^2=x^3+x+1[/tex]

Let's now check the cubes and squares modulo 5:

[tex]0^2=0\,\,,\,1^2=1\,\,,\,2^2=4\,\,,\,3^2=4\,\,,\,4^2=1[/tex]
    [tex]0^3=0\,\,,\,1^3=1\,\,,\,2^3=3\,\,,\,3^3=2\,\,,\,4^3=4[/tex]

We get at once the solutions
    [tex](0,1)\,\,,\,(0,4)\,\,,\,(2,1)\,\,,\,(2,4)\,\,,\,(3,1)\,\,,\,(3,4)\,\,,\,(4,2)\,\,,\,(4,3)[/tex]

DonAntonio

4. Jul 20, 2012 #3
    Re: I don't know how to find the four square roots of an elliptic curve modulo a prim

Thanks. How do you calculate the orders?

5. Jul 20, 2012 #4

Apply the group law to the points...you know it, right? Otherwise it'll be impossible for you to understand what's

going on. You can read this in Silverman's "The Arithmetic of Elliptic Curves", for example. Let's do one of them, say:

[tex](0,1)+(0,1)=(4,2)\,\,,\,\,(0,1)+(4,2)=(1,0)=0=\,\,\text{the group's zero}\,[/tex]

So the element [itex]\,(0,1)\in\Bbb E(\Bbb F_5)\,[/itex] has order [itex]\,3\,[/itex] ...

DonAntonio

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook