What is the best resource for understanding computer network protocols?

• Thread starter brushman
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person attempting to create a bot for a Facebook game using Wireshark to measure incoming and outgoing packets. However, they are struggling to understand the information provided by the packets and are looking for resources to learn more about computer networks and the different categories of information such as "Frame 10", "Ethernet II", "Internet Protocol", "User Datagram Protocol", and "Hypertext Transfer Protocol". They are advised to read a computer network book for more information.
brushman
So I'm working on this project that's way over my head. At this point I'm just messing around because it's pretty hopeless. None the less, I'm still fiddling.

Basically I'm trying to create a "bot" that plays cafe world (facebook game), by programing a client that mimics outgoing messages to the cafe world server. To do this I'm using Wireshark to measure incoming and outgoing packets.

...but I have no idea how to read these packets. I don't know what anything means, or how I should go about learning how to figure out what these packets mean.

When I click on a packet it gives me tons of information in categories like "Frame 10", "Ethernet II", "Internet Protocol", "User Datagram Protocol", "Hypertext Transfer Protocol", etc.

What is all this stuff and where can I learn about it?

Technology news on Phys.org
Read a computer network book. It goes over the details of ethernet frames, what IP is, what UDP is,what HTTP is...

1. What does it mean when someone says "I don't know what I'm doing"?

"I don't know what I'm doing" is a common phrase used to express uncertainty or confusion about a certain task or situation. It could mean that the person lacks knowledge or understanding, is unsure of the correct approach, or is feeling overwhelmed.

2. Is it normal to feel like I don't know what I'm doing in my field of study?

Yes, it is normal to feel uncertain or lost in your field of study at times. Science is constantly evolving and there is always more to learn. It is important to embrace the feeling of not knowing and use it as motivation to continue learning and growing as a scientist.

3. How do I overcome the feeling of not knowing what I'm doing?

One way to overcome this feeling is to seek guidance from mentors or colleagues who have more experience in the field. Additionally, conducting thorough research and staying organized can help clarify the steps needed to accomplish a task. Remember to also have confidence in your abilities and trust in the scientific process.

4. Will I ever feel like I know what I'm doing?

As a scientist, you will always encounter new challenges and questions that you may not have the immediate answer to. This is part of the learning and discovery process. However, with experience and continued education, you will gain more knowledge and confidence in your abilities.

5. How can I use the feeling of not knowing what I'm doing to improve as a scientist?

The feeling of uncertainty can be used as a driving force for growth and improvement. Embrace it and use it as motivation to ask questions, seek answers, and continuously learn. Remember that even the most experienced scientists were once beginners, and it is through the process of not knowing that we gain knowledge and understanding in our fields.