Solving Exam Anxiety: Strategies & Advice

• Thread starter A_I_
  • Start date
In summary, this person has a problem with exams. He has a good ability to understand and analyze content, but when it comes to exams, he makes very stupid mistakes. He has tried different techniques, but without any success. His advice is to just relax and take the exam as another problem set.
A_I_
well i have this problem
which i am really suffering from!
in class i understand everything
and i have a very good ability for analysis
but when it comes to exams i just make very stupid mistakes
and therefore i can't get more than 17 or 18 over 20.
i asked my teachers and some thinkers.
they told me that it's when everyone sits for an exam,
he has this feeling of anxiety and blabla..
they told me to cool down and to take it as if it was an ordinary test..
i tired so many times..
but i didn't get to any result.
there's a big problem no one knows about it.
if anybody would like to share his or her point of view
i would appreciate it.

PS: i hope i posted it in the right place:)

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't really say you have any sort of problem.. it happens to everyone. Basically, you need to just follow standard exam techniques. Go slow! taking your time is probably the most important thing anyone can do in an exam.

if you have time, check over everything. That includes questions you're sure you have the correct solution.

There are always some other things that some people use to help keep calm in exams, vitamin B complex' have some very positive responses in some people, they deal with your nervous system and such though you should always consult a doctor before taking large vitamin suppliments. Aside from that, there's always eating a banana before your exam.. helps some memory issues.

and.. RELAX. exams are just the same questions you've been doing in class for years.

This sounds exactly like me a few months ago.
My advice is incredibly Zen-influenced. Don't think of the exam as an exam. Think of it as just another problem set. There is no exam. The exam exists only in your mind. Calm your mind and the exam will disappear. :smile:
In much the same way as you shouldn't look down while traversing a thin wooden-plank connecting two sections of a skyscraper, you shouldn't think of the situation as a high-pressure exam. As many a Zen master would say, "keep your normal mind; then keep no-mind".
Hope this helps. It sure helped me. :wink:

thanks,
i really appreciate ur advices.
well, it really goes that way
each time i try to convince myself that exams are nothing
and inside of myself I'm being convinced;
it's totally complicated.

i really liked the idea about the vitamin B and the banana.
as well as this citation: "the exam exists only in ur mind"
thanks guys :)

i got this one named "Neurobion"
it contains vitamin B1, B6, B12
it says: "Neurobion coated tablets are prescribed in neuralgia, pain in the spinal region, migraine and circulation disorders."
as side effects they said:
"no signs of hypervitaminosis were noted".

i'm not sure about it.
what do you think?

What is exam anxiety?

Exam anxiety is a form of stress or fear that students experience before, during, or after an exam. It can manifest as physical symptoms like increased heart rate, sweating, or nausea, as well as mental symptoms like racing thoughts, difficulty concentrating, and negative self-talk.

What are some strategies for managing exam anxiety?

Some strategies for managing exam anxiety include practicing relaxation techniques (e.g. deep breathing, meditation), creating a study schedule and sticking to it, getting enough sleep and exercise, and seeking support from friends, family, or a therapist. It is also helpful to identify and challenge negative thoughts that contribute to exam anxiety.

How can I prepare for an exam to reduce anxiety?

To prepare for an exam and reduce anxiety, it is important to start studying early and consistently, rather than cramming at the last minute. This allows for a more thorough understanding of the material and reduces the pressure on test day. It is also helpful to review past exams or practice questions, create study aids like flashcards, and get enough rest and nutrition leading up to the exam.

What should I do if I experience exam anxiety during a test?

If you experience exam anxiety during a test, try to take a few deep breaths and refocus your thoughts on the exam questions. Use any relaxation techniques that have worked for you in the past. If needed, take a quick break to stretch or walk around. Remind yourself that feeling some anxiety is normal and that you have studied and prepared to the best of your ability.

When should I seek professional help for exam anxiety?

If exam anxiety is significantly impacting your academic performance or daily life, it may be helpful to seek professional help. This could include talking to a therapist, counselor, or medical professional. They can provide personalized strategies and support to manage exam anxiety and improve overall well-being.