How can I easily derive this tricky integral?

• Thread starter orthovector
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for deriving the integral \int \frac{dx}_{\sqrt{x^2 + a^2}} and mentions the benefits of memorizing certain techniques. The speaker suggests using hyperbolic or trigonometric substitutions to solve the integral. Corrections are also made to a previous incorrect solution.
orthovector
does anybody know how to derive this integral?

[tex] \int \frac{dx}_{\sqrt{x^2 + a^2}} [/tex] [tex] = ln(x+ \sqrt{x^2 + a^2}) [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you already took it, wrongly. Looks more to me like an arctan. Some things are worth memorizing. Not all, but some.

Dick said:
Looks like you already took it, wrongly. Looks more to me like an arctan. Some things are worth memorizing. Not all, but some.

corrections are made above.

The easy way is to use hyperbolic functions. Substitute x=a*sinh(t). Then figure out what the arcsinh function looks like by solving a quadratic. Otherwise a trig substitution like x=a*tan(t).

1. Why is memorization important in science?

Memorization is important in science because it allows scientists to recall important information quickly and accurately. It also helps them to make connections between different concepts and build a strong foundation of knowledge.

2. Is there a way to avoid memorizing in science?

While memorization is a crucial aspect of learning in science, there are other strategies that can be used to enhance understanding and retention of information. These include hands-on experimentation, visual aids, and critical thinking exercises.

3. What are the benefits of memorization in science?

Memorization helps scientists to develop a deep understanding of concepts and theories, which can then be applied to new situations and problems. It also allows for easier communication and collaboration with other scientists.

4. How can I improve my memorization skills in science?

One way to improve memorization skills in science is through regular practice and repetition. Using mnemonic devices, such as acronyms or visual associations, can also be helpful. Additionally, taking breaks and getting enough sleep can improve memory retention.

5. Is it necessary to memorize everything in science?

No, it is not necessary to memorize everything in science. While certain fundamental concepts and theories should be memorized, it is more important to understand the underlying principles and how to apply them. In some cases, scientists can also refer to reference materials for specific details and information.