I don't understand all the craze with Buffalo Wild Wings

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wings
In summary, the conversation revolved around the speaker's experiences and opinions about a popular sports bar chain, Buffalo Wild Wings. They found the food to be overpriced and average, despite the impressive number of TV screens. The conversation also touched on the popularity of the chain, the cost of chicken wings, and the speaker's preference for making their own wings at home. They also discussed the potential for different tastes and opinions about a restaurant.
kyphysics
I've been there four times the past two months after never having been before.

My friends and family enjoy it.

I think it's massively overpriced for "okay" standard sports bar food and the wings aren't even that great, imo. The number of TV screens is impressive, but most sports bars will show all the major games too.

I don't get it. It's pretty popular here, but for me, I'd never spend $20 out for some wings or a burger and drink. I say this as a broke college student, but I would imagine that even if I had lots of money I'd prefer to go elsewhere.

Am I alone? Overrated? Or, do you think it's the best thing since sliced bread too?

Likes Dr. Courtney
Physics news on Phys.org
Has it occurred to you that not everyone lives near this Buffalo Wild Wings bar?

I do enjoy wings on occasion. I can make a mean sauce from scatch, best thing since sliced bread... I agree cooking at home not only saves money (not much with wings though), but the quality of food and time spent can be better. I think $20 or $1-2 each is probably about average for wings, I can't think of seeing them available for much less.

My brother and his girlfriend got food poisoning there once.
I'm more of a drumstick person.

kyphysics said:
I've been there four times the past two months after never having been before.

My friends and family enjoy it.

I think it's massively overpriced for "okay" standard sports bar food and the wings aren't even that great, imo. The number of TV screens is impressive, but most sports bars will show all the major games too.

I don't get it. It's pretty popular here, but for me, I'd never spend $20 out for some wings or a burger and drink. I say this as a broke college student, but I would imagine that even if I had lots of money I'd prefer to go elsewhere.

Am I alone? Overrated? Or, do you think it's the best thing since sliced bread too?

What kind of a rating did it get, and why do you think it is "overrated"?

I've eaten there several times, and only for lunch. I can take it or leave it. It also very much depends on the sauce you choose for your wings, and if you don't like the flavor, chances are, you chose the wrong sauce.

The ones that I've had weren't bad at all. The wings were still crispy (which is a must for any type of Buffalo wings), and the spicy sauces (you can have more than one sauces for the wings per order) were spicy. Unfortunately, I don't know if they've changed the recipe, but I find the hot sauces are not as hot as I remember them from maybe a couple of years ago.

Besides, it is only wings (even though they have other items on the menu). How "overrated" can a place like this be?

Zz.

I like making my own. I take the center "drumette" and scrape it down to the end so it makes a little "drumstick" (so much easier to eat), fry them, you can go plain or coated, your preference. Then I melt some butter, add my favorite hot pepper sauce and then drench the wing drumettes in it. Never, ever had one left, never a complaint, and always requests for more and the recipe. There you go.

Fervent Freyja said:
Has it occurred to you that not everyone lives near this Buffalo Wild Wings bar?

I do enjoy wings on occasion. I can make a mean sauce from scatch, best thing since sliced bread... I agree cooking at home not only saves money (not much with wings though), but the quality of food and time spent can be better. I think $20 or $1-2 each is probably about average for wings, I can't think of seeing them available for much less.

BWW is a huge chain franchise, FF. It probably does escape me that it's not yet taken over all parts of the U.S., though. o0)

l think I read on CNN Money that along with Panera Bread, they've been the fastest growing chains in the U.S. restaurant biz.

Very popular here. But I don't get it. The food just seems super average to me.

By the way, why are buffalo wings so expensive? I think I've heard what you're talking about too. Chicken is super cheap, but b-wings are expensive. Why is that?

kyphysics said:
BWW is a huge chain franchise, FF. It probably does escape me that it's not yet taken over all parts of the U.S., though. o0)

l think I read on CNN Money that along with Panera Bread, they've been the fastest growing chains in the U.S. restaurant biz.

Very popular here. But I don't get it. The food just seems super average to me.

By the way, why are buffalo wings so expensive? I think I've heard what you're talking about too. Chicken is super cheap, but b-wings are expensive. Why is that?
The law of supply and demand, they used to throw the wings away. But until they can get a chicken with more than 2 wings, they are going to be priced ridiculously high. I buy the whole chickens on sale for 99 cents per pound and throw the wings into a freezer bag, when I have enough, I will make wings. I can feed 4 people well for about $2.

kyphysics said:
... The food just seems super average to me.
And is it your expectation that everyone is going to have the exact same tastes as you? Can you imagine that one of your favorite restaurants is one that some people don't like at all?

Fried pre-frozen chocolate bars in sugary batter used to be popular at one time.

BWW does seem overpriced. Mrs. Dr. Courtney and I went out for the Super Bowl and chose a place right across the street from a BWW which was more modestly priced and we liked the food better. I was pleasantly surprised when it came time to pay the check. Great service also.

At our stage of life (chasing teens) we don't get many date nights to ourselves, so we're not so price conscious, but atmosphere is important. We may have lucked out to be seated right next to a big screen TV with most of the people rooting for the same team we were, which added to the atmosphere and the fun. The BWW parking lot across the way was full, full, full. So we expect it would have been a zoo. The parking lot of the restaurant we chose was only 1/2 full, and they were happy to let us stay and keep watching the game long after we were done with the meal.

Wings? I like 'em, but my favorite come frozen from Sam's Club. I like both the Tequila Lime and the Hot Wings. Tyson, I think. Gotta ask Mrs. Dr. Courtney to put those on the menu again soon.

1. What makes Buffalo Wild Wings so popular?

Buffalo Wild Wings is popular for a variety of reasons, including its wide selection of wings and sauces, sports bar atmosphere, and affordable prices.

2. Are the wings at Buffalo Wild Wings actually made from buffalo?

No, the wings at Buffalo Wild Wings are not made from buffalo. They are made from chicken.

3. Why is there such a craze for wings in general?

Wings have become a popular food choice due to their versatility and ability to be flavored in a variety of ways. They are also often seen as a fun and casual food, making them a popular choice for gatherings and events.

4. Is Buffalo Wild Wings a healthy dining option?

While Buffalo Wild Wings does offer some healthier options on their menu, such as grilled chicken and salads, their signature wings and sauces tend to be high in calories and fat. It is important to practice moderation and balance in your overall diet.

5. Is the food at Buffalo Wild Wings really that good?

Taste is subjective, but many people enjoy the food at Buffalo Wild Wings for its flavorful wings and range of sauce options. However, others may not find it as appealing. It ultimately comes down to personal preference.