How can I improve my understanding of kinematics and force in physics?

• Thread starter oscarkool2
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is struggling with understanding kinematics and force in their physics course despite reading the assigned material, attending tutoring sessions, and spending over 16 hours on the subject. They are seeking a resource to help them better comprehend the concepts and are struggling with word problems in particular. They also mention their frustration with their textbook, Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday.
oscarkool2

Homework Statement

I read the book, I read my teachers notes, I go to do a problem and I have no idea what to do. I go to the tutors but I don't understand what's going on. Dealing with kinematics and force right now but I still have no idea what the hell is going on.

Homework Equations

I need a resource that can teach me how to understand physics. My textbook, Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday is complete trash, I have read the assigned chapters over and over and when I approach each and every problem, I have no idea what's going on.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I suck at word problems. For example, this question gives me a coordinate with some forces on it and asks me which direction is the acceleration. Um, I have no idea and have seemed to miss where the book mentions how to find the direction of acceleration. What am I doing wrong? Spent 16+ hours on physics and haven't learned a thing.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you add your forces together (you may need a little trig), the direction of the net force will be the direction of the acceleration. For example, the force of gravity is vertical. Therefore thing that are dropped accelerate down. Post your problem and describe where you get stuck.

I understand that learning can be a challenging process and it is common for students to struggle with certain concepts. It seems like you have put in a lot of effort and time into studying, but are still having trouble understanding kinematics and force. My suggestion would be to approach these topics by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable pieces. Start by understanding the fundamental principles and equations, and then apply them to specific problems. It may also be helpful to seek additional resources such as online tutorials or practice problems to supplement your learning. Remember to not get discouraged and keep practicing, as understanding physics takes time and effort.

1. Why do I feel like I don't understand anything?

Feeling like you don't understand anything can be a result of many factors, such as lack of knowledge or experience in a certain subject, difficulty in comprehending complex concepts, or simply being overwhelmed with too much information. It is important to identify the root cause of this feeling in order to effectively address it.

2. How can I improve my understanding of a subject?

Improving understanding of a subject requires active effort and dedication. Some ways to do this include breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts, seeking clarification from experts or peers, practicing and applying what you have learned, and continuously seeking new information and perspectives.

3. Is it normal to not understand everything?

Yes, it is completely normal to not understand everything. As humans, our brains have limitations and we cannot possibly know everything about every subject. It is important to acknowledge and accept this and focus on understanding the key concepts and information that are most relevant to you.

4. How can I communicate my lack of understanding without feeling embarrassed?

Feeling embarrassed about not understanding something is a common feeling, but it is important to remember that it is okay to ask for clarification or further explanation. One approach is to ask specific questions and express your interest in learning more. You can also seek out one-on-one conversations with teachers or experts to avoid any potential embarrassment in a larger group setting.

5. Can I still be successful even if I don't understand everything?

Absolutely! Success does not necessarily mean understanding everything. It is important to focus on understanding the key concepts and information that are most relevant to your goals and continuously strive to learn and improve. Remember, even the most successful individuals are constantly learning and expanding their knowledge.