1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I don't understand Gauss' law

1. Feb 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A hollow spherical shell carries charge density [tex]\rho=k/r^2[/tex] in the region [tex]a\leq r\leq b[/tex]. Use Gauss' Law in integral form to find the electric field in three regions: (i) r<a, (ii) a<r<b, (iii) r>b.

2. Relevant equations

Gauss' Law in integral form: [tex]\oint_{\text{surface}}\textbf{E}\cdot d\textbf{a}=\frac{1}{\epsilon_0}Q_{\text{enc}}[/tex]

where [tex]Q_{\text{enc}}=\int_{\text{volume}}\rho\;d\tau[/tex] is the total charge enclosed within the surface.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm looking at (ii) to start. Due to symmetry we have [tex]\textbf{E}=|\textbf{E}|\hat r[/tex] and so we can pull this out of the left term of the integral in Gauss' law. But I'm confused on how to compute Qenc. I would expect to take the radius part of the integral from a to b, this way:

[tex]Q_{\text{enc}}=\int_{\text{volume}}\rho\;d\tau= \int_{\text{surface}}\int_a^b \rho\;dr\;d\textbf{a}[/tex]

However the solutions manual suggests that I should leave r as a variable and take the integral from a to r, this way:

[tex]Q_{\text{enc}}=\int_{\text{volume}}\rho\;d\tau= \int_{\text{surface}}\int_a^r \rho\;d\bar r\;d\textbf{a}[/tex]

I don't understand this. Why do we get to ignore the field between r and b?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2012 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

well part ii) is asking for the electric field between a and b. So where will the Gaussian surface extend to?

4. Feb 17, 2012 #3
    OH, I see now!

That was silly.

Thanks.

5. Feb 17, 2012 #4

BruceW

Homework Helper

haha, no worries!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook