What is the mass of the wagon in this physics problem?

• Thread starter hebden
  • Start date
In summary, the problem at hand is to find the mass of a wagon given that a 6N force results in constant velocity and a 42N force results in an acceleration of 3.0m/s^2. The equation to use is F=ma, with the given values for force and acceleration. Friction can be ignored in this problem. The starting point to solve for mass is to rearrange the equation to m=F/a. Good luck to those attempting to solve this problem.
hebden
i have a test on friday and i know these kinds of questions will be on it, but i just can't figure it out. here's a real easy version of those questions and i was hoping you guys could clear up for me the basic way to do this:

a man finds that a 6N force will pull a toy wagon along a level table at a constant velocity. He also finds that a 42N force will accelerate the same wagon at 3.0m/s2 along the same table. what is the mass of the wagon?

thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
ok, do you have the correct answer for this? I'm assuming there's friction or air resistance or something since when you apply the first force there's no acceleration. So you do SumF= ma and i assume there's some counter force (F) that accounts for the zero acceleration. So, 6N + F= m(0), the mystery counter force, (friction or whatever,) is -6. So, i do SumF= ma again with the second force and our new found counter force, and plug in the given acceleration and solve for mass.

I am not a teacher and I am not experienced at explaining or solving mathematics problems.
I reply to hebdens post in order to test my understanding.

Basically your problem is to solve is F= m*a

The force was given, and
The acceleration was given.

Rearranging the formula may help.

Forget the first force value of 6N it is irrelevant at first.

I believe friction can be ignore in this question.

below is starting point. good luck to those who are trying to solve this 4 years later.

F=42N
a=3.0m/s^2
m=?

1. Can you explain this concept to me in simpler terms?

Yes, of course! I can break down the complex terminology and provide real-life examples to help you better understand the concept.

2. Why is this important to know or understand?

Understanding this concept is important because it serves as a foundation for further learning and can be applied to various real-world scenarios.

3. How does this concept relate to other scientific principles?

This concept is connected to other scientific principles in various ways, such as through cause and effect relationships or by building upon previous theories.

4. What resources can I use to learn more about this topic?

There are many resources available, such as textbooks, scientific articles, and online educational websites, that can provide more in-depth information and explanations about this topic.

5. Can you provide any visual aids to help me understand?

Yes, I can provide visual aids such as diagrams, graphs, or illustrations to help you better comprehend the concept. Sometimes, seeing the information presented in a different way can make it easier to understand.