What is the proof for the lower and upper Riemann integral?

• Thread starter twoflower
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation is about a theorem regarding the lower and upper Riemann integrals of a bounded function on a closed interval. The proof involves choosing a sequence of partitions and showing that the supremum of the lower sums over this sequence is equal to the lower Riemann integral. This is done by estimating the lower sums and showing that they approach the lower Riemann integral as the size of the partitions approach zero. The proof also addresses the use of a countable family of partitions to represent the sup over all possible partitions.
twoflower
Hi all, I'm learning for my analysis exam and I encountered a theorem the proof of which I don't fully understand.

Here it is:

Form of lower and upper Riemann integral

[tex]
\mbox{Let } f \mbox{ be bounded on } [a,b] \mbox{ and let } \left\{D_n\right\}_{n=1}^{\infty} \mbox{ be infinite sequence of dividings of interval } [a,b]. \mbox{ Let } \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \Vert D_n \Vert = 0. \mbox{ Then \\ }
[/tex]
[tex]
(R) \int_{a}^b f(x)\ dx = \sup_{n} (f, D_n) \mbox{ (lower Riemann integral)}
[/tex]
[tex]
(R) \int_{a}^b f(x)\ dx = \inf_{n} S(f, D_n) \mbox{ (upper Riemann integral)}
[/tex]

[tex]
\mbox{ Where } s(f, D) \mbox{ and } S(f, D) \mbox{ are lower and upper sums.}
[/tex]

Proof:

Let's choose dividing D and [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex]. It's sufficient to prove, that

[tex]\exists \ n_0 \in \mathbb{N}: s(f, D_{n_0}) > s(f, D) \ - \ \epsilon
[/tex]

Because then

[tex]\forall \ \epsilon > 0 \ \exists \ n_0 \in \mathbb{N}: \sup_{D'} s(f, D') \ge \sup_{n} s(f, D_n) \ge s(f, D) \ - \ \epsilon
[/tex]

We have fixed D, [itex]\epsilon[/itex] and let

[tex]
K = \sup_{x \in [a,b]} |f(x)|
[/tex]

We choose [itex]n_0[/itex] such, that

[tex]
\Vert D_{n_0} \Vert < \frac{\epsilon}{K.\sharp D'}
[/tex], where [itex]\sharp D'[/itex] = number of intervals in D.

Let

[tex]
P = D_{n_0} \cup D.
[/tex]

[tex]
s(f, D) \le s(f, P) = \sum_{I \in P} (\inf_{I} f).|I| [/tex] (I doesn't contain points of D)

[tex] + \sum_{I \in P} (\inf_{I} f).|I| [/tex] (I contains at least 1 point from D)

[tex] \le s(f, D_{n_0}) + K.\Vert D_{n_0} \Vert .\sharp D
[/tex]

[tex] < s(f, D_{n_0}) + \epsilon \ \ \Box[/tex]

Could you please clarify the main idea and individual steps to me?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. f is assumed Riemann integrables

what part do you not understand?

twoflower said:
Proof:

Let's choose dividing D and [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex]. It's sufficient to prove, that

[/tex]

ie show the sup of the lower sums of D_n is a sup for the set of all partitions.

Because then

[tex]\forall \ \epsilon > 0 \ \exists \ n_0 \in \mathbb{N}: \sup_{D'} s(f, D') \ge \sup_{n} s(f, D_n) \ge s(f, D) \ - \ \epsilon
[/tex]

and thus the sup over all D must equal the sup over the D_n

what follows is a straight forward estimate of the lower sums

We have fixed D, [itex]\epsilon[/itex] and let

[tex]
K = \sup_{x \in [a,b]} |f(x)|
[/tex]

We choose [itex]n_0[/itex] such, that

[tex]
\Vert D_{n_0} \Vert < \frac{\epsilon}{K.\sharp D'}
[/tex], where [itex]\sharp D'[/itex] = number of intervals in D.

Let

[tex]
P = D_{n_0} \cup D.
[/tex]

[tex]
s(f, D) \le s(f, P) = \sum_{I \in P} (\inf_{I} f).|I| [/tex] (I doesn't contain points of D)

[tex] + \sum_{I \in P} (\inf_{I} f).|I| [/tex] (I contains at least 1 point from D)

[tex] \le s(f, D_{n_0}) + K.\Vert D_{n_0} \Vert .\sharp D
[/tex]

[tex] < s(f, D_{n_0}) + \epsilon \ \ \Box[/tex]

Could you please clarify the main idea and individual steps to me?

twoflower said:
Hi all, I'm learning for my analysis exam and I encountered a theorem the proof of which I don't fully understand.

Here it is:

Form of lower and upper Riemann integral

[tex]
\mbox{Let } f \mbox{ be bounded on } [a,b] \mbox{ and let } \left\{D_n\right\}_{n=1}^{\infty} \mbox{ be infinite sequence of dividings of interval } [a,b]. \mbox{ Let } \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \Vert D_n \Vert = 0. \mbox{ Then \\ }
[/tex]
[tex]
(R) \int_{a}^b f(x)\ dx = \sup_{n}s(f, D_n) \mbox{ (lower Riemann integral)}
[/tex]
[tex]
(R) \int_{a}^b f(x)\ dx = \inf_{n} S(f, D_n) \mbox{ (upper Riemann integral)}
[/tex]

[tex]
\mbox{ Where } s(f, D) \mbox{ and } S(f, D) \mbox{ are lower and upper sums.}
[/tex]

Proof:

[/tex]
[tex]\exists \ n_0 \in \mathbb{N}:s(f, D) \ - s(f, D_{n_0}) < \epsilon
[/tex] by knowing that the more points occupied in the partition will increase the lower sum so obviously infinitly partitioned lower sum minus the finite partition of the lower sum is less than epsilon, the rest is just displaying an estimate of the lower sums by the looks of it, don't know what else to say

?

Last edited:
I understand the first inequality, but I don't understand this:

[tex]
\forall \ \epsilon > 0 \ \exists \ n_0 \in \mathbb{N}: \sup_{D'} s(f, D') \ge \sup_{n} s(f, D_n) \ge s(f, D) \ - \ \epsilon
[/tex]

Why is there D', for what?

You'retaking the sup over all partitions D', ie "the lower riemann integral"

matt grime said:
You'retaking the sup over all partitions D', ie "the lower riemann integral"

Well, however I don't see why couldn't I just write

[tex]
\forall \ \epsilon > 0 \ \exists \ n_0 \in \mathbb{N}: \sup_{n} s(f, D_n) \ge s(f, D) \ - \ \epsilon
[/tex]

You can't because that is what you need to prove, since you do not know the sup over the countable family D_n is an upper bound for any D - this is what the proof establishes. There is no need for the there exists n_0 part as well

[tex]
\forall \ \epsilon > 0 \ \exists \ n_0 \in \mathbb{N}:s(f, D) \ - \sup_{D'} s(f, D') \le s(f, D) \ -\sup_{n} s(f, D_n) \le \epsilon
[/tex]

for the first inequality, the more intervals (D') occupied in the partition will increase the lower sum so obviously infinitly partitioned lower sum minus the finite partition of the lower sum is less than epsilon,
for the second inequality the more points (n) occupied in the partition will increase the lower sum so obviously infinitly partitioned lower sum minus the finite partition of the lower sum is less than epsilon, well this is basically what i think its sayin by that expression don't know what else to say sorry

typionfg one handed please bear with me

Can I just explain what ther prrof is trying to do rather than hust deconstructing it as it stands.

We want to find the Sup of the lower sums takrn ove all partitions as the length of the largest subinterval tends to zero. this is of course impossible to do in almost any real situation. instead we prove this result that states if we can find a countable family D_n where the sup exists here and |d_n| tends tpo zero then that is sufficient.

obviusly the sup over all partitions is greater than the sup over the family D_n.

We must show that the reverse is true. so take an arbitray partition, D and we show that we can makr the s(f,D_n) greater than s(f,D)-e for all e for all an suff large. take sups of both sides as the sze of the subinterval tendss to zero and we get

sup(f,D_n)=>sup(f,D)

as required

Thank you matt, I think I finally have it. One more:

why (in the second inequality) is there "..exists n_0..." when we don't use it at all? (we're taking sup over all n).

yeah, but the n_0 doesn't appear at all in the statement that follows it does it?

or if you like, remove the "there exitst n_0", does it change the statement at all? no, all variables are quantified properly - it is an unnecessary quantifier

Last edited:
matt grime said:
yeah, but the n_0 doesn't appear at all in the statement that follows it does it?

In the proof later it does appear and it is because the first inequality (the one we're acually proving) is stated in a such way that it contains n_0. But the second inequality (which is consequence of the first one) doesn't contain n_0 and it seems useless to me there...

matt grime said:

or if you like, remove the "there exitst n_0", does it change the statement at all? no, all variables are quantified properly - it is an unnecessary quantifier

Ok, thank you for the explanation.

1. Why is this proof necessary?

Proofs are necessary in science to provide evidence and support for a particular hypothesis or theory. They help to validate the accuracy and reliability of scientific claims and conclusions, and allow other scientists to replicate and build upon previous research.

2. How do I know if a proof is valid?

A valid proof is one that follows the rules of logic and is supported by sound reasoning and evidence. It should be able to withstand scrutiny and criticism from other scientists and hold up under repeated testing and experimentation.

3. What if I don't understand a particular step in the proof?

If you don't understand a particular step in a proof, it's important to ask questions and seek clarification from the author or other experts in the field. It's also helpful to break down the proof into smaller parts and try to understand each step individually before putting them all together.

4. Can a proof ever be wrong?

While proofs are meant to be airtight and logically sound, they can sometimes contain errors or be based on faulty assumptions. This is why it is important for scientists to constantly question and challenge existing proofs and theories, and to always be open to new evidence and perspectives.

5. How can I improve my understanding of proofs?

Improving your understanding of proofs takes practice and patience. It's important to have a strong foundation in the relevant mathematical or scientific concepts, and to constantly seek out new information and perspectives. Additionally, discussing proofs with other scientists and engaging in critical thinking and problem-solving can also help improve your understanding.