1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I dont understand why this is wrong. can someone please help me?

1. Nov 11, 2007 #1
    Mountaineers often use a rope to lower themselves down the face of a cliff (this is called rappelling). They do this with their body nearly horizontal and their feet pushing against the cliff. Suppose that an 82.5 kg climber, who is 1.54 m tall and has a center of gravity 1.3 m from his feet, rappels down a vertical cliff with his body raised 28.9 degree above the horizontal. He holds the rope 1.46 m from his feet, and it makes a 24.2 degree angle with the cliff face.

a) What tension does his rope need to support?

I found the tension to be equal to - mg(1.3) sin(28.9) + T(1.3) sin(180 - 24.2-28.9)=0 and then i solve for T. T= (mg(1.3)sin(28.9))/(1.3sin(180-24.2-28.9)). I plugged in the numbers and found the answer to be 488.61 N but it's wrong. Can someone please help me? Thank you!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You are using the wrong angles. When using [itex]\tau = rF\sin\theta[/itex], the angle is the angle between the position vector (r) and the force.
  4. Nov 11, 2007 #3
    ok i got it. thank you sooo much for your help! i really appreciated it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?