I don't understand why we celebrate birthdays.

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation touches upon the idea of celebrating birthdays and the different perspectives towards it. While some may find it uncomfortable when people celebrate their own birthdays, it is seen as a way to express gratitude for having loved ones in one's life. However, there is also mention of the negative connotation attached to aging and counting down the years until one's death, and the reminder to not reveal one's age in certain units.
ehrenfest
I don't understand why we celebrate birthdays.

Physics news on Phys.org
People who celebrate or publicize their own irk me, because it always seems as if they expect something. When you're celebratating on behalf of someone important to you, however, it's more that you're showing your pleasure at having him/her in your life.

By counting down the years until they die?

Poop-Loops said:
By counting down the years until they die?
Up. It is less than optimal for me to forget my wife's birthday. My mother just turned 68. That means she's 86. I keep telling her not to give her age in Centigrade, but she's got her own agenda.

1. Why do we celebrate birthdays?

Birthdays are a way to mark the passing of time and celebrate the anniversary of a person's birth. It is a tradition that has been around for centuries and is seen as a way to honor and show appreciation for an individual's life.

2. When did celebrating birthdays start?

The celebration of birthdays can be traced back to ancient civilizations such as the Egyptians and Greeks. However, the modern tradition of celebrating with cakes, candles, and gifts is believed to have originated in Germany in the 18th century.

3. Why do we blow out candles on a birthday cake?

The tradition of blowing out candles on a birthday cake is believed to have originated from the Greeks, who would make round cakes to honor the moon goddess Artemis. The lit candles symbolized the glow of the moon and were blown out as a sign of thanks and to make a wish.

4. What is the significance of giving gifts on birthdays?

Giving gifts on birthdays is a way to show love, appreciation, and thoughtfulness towards the individual celebrating their birthday. It is a gesture of kindness and a way to make the person feel special on their special day.

5. Why do some people not celebrate their birthdays?

Some people may choose not to celebrate their birthdays for personal or cultural reasons. It could also be due to past negative experiences associated with their birthday. Each person has the right to decide how they want to celebrate or not celebrate their birthday.