Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical I enjoy looking at disease

1. Oct 29, 2011 #1
    especially nasty skin related conditions. Does that make me weird? I go to dermatlas all the time to look up skin pathologies and find them intriguing. My favorite pics so far come from seborrheic dermatitis.

http://dermatlas.med.jhmi.edu/derm/IndexDisplay.cfm?ImageID=224668234

Click on the pic and you can get a super zoom in view :!!)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2011 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Is there anything that you wanted to discuss?

4. Oct 29, 2011 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

We can discuss how weird he is.

5. Oct 29, 2011 #4
    And what is it that you find particularly interesting about this skin condition on a 4 month old baby?
    Do feel you want to help through research or treating PTs?

6. Oct 29, 2011 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Being intrigued is not a bad thing. Maybe you can study it and do research in skin diseases?? That way you can find out what's causing it and how to cure it??

7. Oct 29, 2011 #6

fluidistic

Gold Member

I had a similar -but lesser- intrigation about photos/videos of people dead/dying. This lasted maybe for 2 months and now it's gone since about 1 month.
    However the picture you linked in your post doesn't really intrigate me. I'd be glad to see a video of a dog having rabies and about human skin related illness, I'd like to see how is leprosy. So I might be a little like you in some way even though I wouldn't pass an hour on this.

8. Oct 29, 2011 #7
    I would agree with Peng :rofl:

I think OP wanted to discuss weird things you like.

9. Oct 30, 2011 #8
    Yes, it makes me wonder why the immune system does this and what if anything could be done about it. It's why I'm going to study drug delivery!

10. Oct 30, 2011 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess for every one like you, there's one like me. I have a weird aversion to strangers who are sick. If I'm in line at the grocery store and it's almost my turn, if the person in back of me starts coughing badly I'll jump out of line and go get into another (longer) line.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook