Solve 3^{2010}+15^{2010} Divided by 13 | Help for Math Struggler

• Thread starter BustedBreaks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bit Stupid
In summary, a co-worker gave the speaker a problem to explore in math, which involved the expression 3^{2010}+15^{2010} \div 13. The speaker was unsure of what to do, but thought that the co-worker wanted them to reduce the expression. However, the only thing they could think to prove was the reduction, but they were unsure of how to do so. The speaker tried to solve the equation 15^{2010}/x/13 = y but was unable to find a whole number that worked for x and gave a whole number for y. The speaker then asked for help and mentioned feeling a bit stupid for having trouble with such a seemingly simple problem. They also were unsure if reducing the
BustedBreaks
So my mother mentioned to a co-worker, who is a "math guy," that I was interested in math. The co-worker subsequently gave her a piece of paper with the following written on it to give me to to "solve" or "prove" in my mother's words, yet I am unsure what to do. Here is what was on the paper:

[tex]3^{2010}+15^{2010} \div 13[/tex]

I figured the person wanted me to reduce this in some way as it is not an equation. The only thing I think I could prove is the reduction if I could figure out how to do it. My first thought was to try and reduce [tex]15^{2010}/13[/tex] in some way be solving the equation [tex]15^{2010/ x}/13=y[/tex]but I could not find a whole number that worked for x that gave a whole number for y so I am a bit stuck...

Any help? I feel a bit stupid because it seems to be simple, yet I am having trouble figuring it out. Also, I don't really know if reducing this is what the person wanted me to do.

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Wait, do you need to prove if
[tex]
3^{2010}+15^{2010}
[/tex] is divisible by 13 i.e

[tex]13|3^{2010}+15^{2010}[/tex]

Or you need to reduce
[tex]
3^{2010}+\frac{15^{2010}}{13}
[/tex]

?

Regards

I believe your mother's friend wants you to "explore" math. The exponents lead me to believe he wants to introduce you to the properties of logarithms.

Edit: Eh, its not as simple as I was thinking. Forgive me.

Last edited by a moderator:
BustedBreaks said:
So my mother mentioned to a co-worker, who is a "math guy," that I was interested in math. The co-worker subsequently gave her a piece of paper with the following written on it to give me to to "solve" or "prove" in my mother's words, yet I am unsure what to do. Here is what was on the paper:

[tex]3^{2010}+15^{2010} \div 13[/tex]

I figured the person wanted me to reduce this in some way as it is not an equation. The only thing I think I could prove is the reduction if I could figure out how to do it.

My first thought was to try and reduce [tex]15^{2010}/13[/tex] in some way be solving the equation [tex]15^{2010/ x}/13=y[/tex]but I could not find a whole number that worked for x that gave a whole number for y so I am a bit stuck...

Any help? I feel a bit stupid because it seems to be simple, yet I am having trouble figuring it out. Also, I don't really know if reducing this is what the person wanted me to do.

Thanks

If this is meant to be an integers problem, then possibly you are being asked if 13 divides the sum. It does. Can you prove it? In other words, consider
[tex]\frac{3^{2010} + 15^{2010}}{13}[/tex]​

Can you prove that this is an integer?

Here is a hint. Consider successive powers of 5, modulo 13.

[tex]\begin{align*}
5^0 & \equiv 1 (\mod 13) \\
5^1 & \equiv 5 (\mod 13) \\
5^2 & \equiv 12 (\mod 13) \\
5^3 & \equiv 8 (\mod 13) \\
5^4 & \equiv 1 (\mod 13) \\
5^5 & \equiv 5 (\mod 13) \\
5^6 & \equiv 12 (\mod 13) \\
5^7 & \equiv 8 (\mod 13)
\end{align*}[/tex]​

And so on. (You can prove this if you need to).

Cheers -- sylas

But we don't know if that is the task.

Anyways

[tex]
13|3^{2010}+15^{2010}=3^{2010}+5^{2010}\cdot 3^{2010}=3^{2010}(1+5^{2010})
[/tex]
[tex]
3^3 & \equiv 1 (\mod 13) \\
[/tex]
hence
[tex]3^{2010} \equiv 1^{670} (\mod 13)[/tex]

[tex]5^{2} \equiv -1 (\mod 13)[/tex]

[tex]5^{2010} & \equiv (-1)^{1005} (\mod 13) \\[/tex]

[tex]5^{2010} + 1 & \equiv (-1)+1 (\mod 13) \[/tex]

hence

[tex]3^{2010}(5^{2010} + 1) & \equiv 0 (\mod 13) \[/tex]

Hence we proved it is divisible by 13.

Regards.

So here is exactly what was written:

[tex]3^{2010} + 15^{2010} \vdots 13[/tex]

The three dots looked like a division symbol on the paper

Also, maybe I should learn what mod means?

Any suggestions on texts that could help me with that?

Mod just mean's Modulo. Basically when you say x mod y it means that as you increase x, once it gets to y it reverts to zero. Think of a clock, which is expressed in mod 12. The only thing of note is that a clock has no zero but starts at one so let's just subtract 1 from everything and pretend time goes 0 o' clock, 1 o'clock (which is actually 2 o'clock) and so on until 11 o' clock (which is actually 12 o' clock). What is one hour after 11 o' clock in our scheme? Well we're back to 0 o' clock. Mathematically we say 11 mod 12 + 1 = 0 mod 12. So what's 7 mod 12 + 10? (10 hours after 7 o'clock)? It's 5 o' clock. You can think of mod as "clock arithmetic"

maverick_starstrider said:
You can think of mod as "clock arithmetic"
Never thought of it that way. I like that.

BustedBreaks said:
So here is exactly what was written:

[tex]3^{2010} + 15^{2010} \vdots 13[/tex]

The three dots looked like a division symbol on the paper

Also, maybe I should learn what mod means?

Any suggestions on texts that could help me with that?

I've never seen that notation. A standard notation is
[tex]a \;\; | \;\; b[/tex]​
which means "a divides b", or alternatively, a is a factor of b. So my guess at what your problem means could have been written
[tex]13 \;\; | \;\; 3^{2010} + 15^{2010}[/tex]​
The order is important, and your notation is in the reverse order to this.

The other common notation that I used in my first reply is
[tex]a \equiv b (\mod c)[/tex]​
which has the same meaning as
[tex]c \;\; | \;\; a-b[/tex]​
or, a and b have the same remainder when divided by c.

My reading of your problem could be written in this notation as
[tex]3^{2010} + 15^{2010} \equiv 0 ( \mod 13)[/tex]​

Sometimes the brackets are omitted. This uses three dashes, but requires the additional 0 in there.

A page introducing modular arithmetic is here: Modular Arithmetic, or see the wikipedia article.

But I'm still only guessing that this was the intent of the original question.

Cheers -- sylas

What is the formula for solving this equation?

The formula for solving this equation is (a + b)^n = Σ_(k=0)^n (n choose k) a^(n-k) b^k, where a = 3^2010 and b = 15^2010.

How do I divide by 13?

To divide by 13, you can use the long division method or use a calculator. For this equation, you can also simplify by factoring out a common factor of 13 from both the numerator and denominator.

Why is the number 13 significant in this equation?

The number 13 is significant in this equation because it is the divisor in the division operation. It also plays a role in the simplification of the equation by factoring out a common factor of 13.

Can this equation be solved without a calculator?

Yes, this equation can be solved without a calculator by using the formula for solving equations with large exponents and by simplifying the equation through factoring.

What is the final answer to this equation?

The final answer to this equation is not a whole number and is approximately 1.03 x 10^811. This can be written in scientific notation as 1.03E811.