Calculating Net Displacement: East and North Components in a 50-70-20 Triangle"

• Thread starter sydneyfranke
  • Start date
In summary, the person's net displacement can be found by adding the vectors representing their movements. The East component is 50 meters West, and the North component is 30 meters North. The estimated angle of 45 degrees for the first vector is accurate and can be used to calculate the components. Drawing a sketch can also help visualize the net displacement.
sydneyfranke

Homework Statement

Suppose someone walks 50 meters Northeast, then turns West and walks for 70 meters, and finally turns South and walks 20 meters. What is their East and North components of the net displacement.

Homework Equations

If I knew one, I could probably figure this one out.

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried using /A/= 50cos(x) for East component and /A/= 50 sin(x) and also plugged in the estimated angle for x as well. I don't know if I'm just overlooking something or just not understanding the question or even if I know what I'm doing.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
sydneyfranke said:

Homework Statement

Suppose someone walks 50 meters Northeast, then turns West and walks for 70 meters, and finally turns South and walks 20 meters. What is their East and North components of the net displacement.
Tried using /A/= 50cos(x) for East component and /A/= 50 sin(x) and also plugged in the estimated angle for x as well. I don't know if I'm just overlooking something or just not understanding the question or even if I know what I'm doing.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Why do you say x is an estimated angle. If someone is walking Northeast, the angle with the horizontal is exactly 45 degrees. Try drawing a sketch to scale , placing the tail of the 2nd vector on the arrow of the first vector, then the tail of the third vector on the arrow of the 2nd vector. The net displacemnt is the vetor pointing from the origin to the arrow of the third vector. That will give you a rough idea of the net displacemnt vector. Analytically, sum all x components to get the x component of the net vector, and sum y components to get the y component of the net vector. But i don't get an east and north component of the net displacemnt, i get a west and north component.

Thanks

What does it mean to feel dumb asking a question?

Feeling dumb asking a question means that you feel self-conscious or embarrassed about asking a question because you think it might be considered too simple or obvious.

Why do people say "there are no dumb questions"?

People say "there are no dumb questions" to encourage others to ask questions without fear of judgment. It also acknowledges that everyone has different levels of knowledge and understanding, and what may seem like a simple question to one person may not be to another.

Is it okay to ask "dumb" questions in a professional setting?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask "dumb" questions in a professional setting. In fact, asking questions is a crucial part of learning and growing in any field. It shows that you are curious, engaged, and willing to learn.

How can I overcome the feeling of being dumb when asking questions?

To overcome the feeling of being dumb when asking questions, remind yourself that there are no dumb questions and that asking questions is a sign of intelligence and curiosity. Also, try to reframe your thinking and see asking questions as an opportunity to learn and improve.

Are there any benefits to asking "dumb" questions?

Yes, there are many benefits to asking "dumb" questions. It can help clarify misunderstandings, promote critical thinking, and lead to new insights and ideas. It can also create a more inclusive and open learning environment for everyone.