I feel high after playing my guitar, any explanations?

• Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Guitar
In summary: The guitar is a string instrument. The problem is you're blowing too hard. Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited has some neat guitar work on it. I think Dylan brought in Michael Bloomfield on that album. I own all the Dylan albums up until the early 1970s, at which point he went in a direction that just doesn't do much for me.With enough noodling around, I can figure out what chords are being played in some cases. It's not like I can listen to a chord and say "Oh, G#major7th", but if I play around for a while I can figure out the root is G#, then mess around with some different chord qualities
wasteofo2
I came up with a really cool (well, I think it's cool) song after being inspired by Bob Dylan's "In my time of dyin'" just a few hours ago. It's not really a song, so much as a 1 man jam, and I've just been playing it and improvising for the better part of 2 hours and having a great time. I was sitting down, not doing any more excercise than moving my right arm up and down and fretting the strings with my left hand. After I stopped, I was sweaty and I feel drunk. I'm guessing it's like endorphins or something, kinda like a runners high but from guitar? Does anyone know what this could be? Is there something in your body that makes you feel high when enjoying yourself extremely?

Biology news on Phys.org
perhaps Dopamine?
Don't know if you were exited about the song/jam?
Dopamine gives the feeling you get when you just come out of a rollercoaster.

Marijn said:
perhaps Dopamine?
Don't know if you were exited about the song/jam?
Dopamine gives the feeling you get when you just come out of a rollercoaster.
Oh yeah, I was excited, I was having a total blast.

Yeah, see the guitar is a string instrument. The problem is you're blowing too hard.

I used to have the same experience after watching *Donkey and the Durians* --an old film by the producers I can't remember now. Like an old fable, The Donkey liked to eat durians fallen down from the trees, but really fun.

Could anyone tell me whether Getting Excited and Getting Jealous have anything in common ? I doubt a little about the latter though.
Thanks

Are you able to figure out chords by ear? I never got that good. I can often tell if it's a minor or a major, but I can't discern 7s or 9s or anything more elaborate.

Janitor said:
Are you able to figure out chords by ear? I never got that good. I can often tell if it's a minor or a major, but I can't discern 7s or 9s or anything more elaborate.
With enough noodling around, I can figure out what chords are being played in some cases. It's not like I can listen to a chord and say "Oh, G#major7th", but if I play around for a while I can figure out the root is G#, then mess around with some different chord qualities and sometimes figure it out.

Well, you're one up on me then.

Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited has some neat guitar work on it. I think Dylan brought in Michael Bloomfield on that album. I own all the Dylan albums up until the early 1970s, at which point he went in a direction that just doesn't do much for me.

The singer is Meredith Brooks. Jkowski, I see you are having fun on the boards. I think you need to calm down a little though..

Janitor said:
Well, you're one up on me then.

Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited has some neat guitar work on it. I think Dylan brought in Michael Bloomfield on that album. I own all the Dylan albums up until the early 1970s, at which point he went in a direction that just doesn't do much for me.
Janitor, you heard the song mentioned by Jkowski ?
I intended to tell you a couple of days earlier but unfortunately i was asked to keep my mouth shut or I would get fired.
I now work as a toilet cleaner, I don't have much time for music, so am really dumb. I am old, sometimes "play around" with some jobs like helping people with homework to receive some cheap dolars. i hope i could buy a cassette to listen to some radio noise, or a guitar to play when I have free time. Also, if possible, i would like to whore myself in public or before some rich ladies to suck them into be able to open my own own company then, a big dream.
Still don't know which way is the most respectful one for me to choose though.

To jkowski, I'm afraid I am not familiar with "i am bi_tch !" - probably it is too recent of a song. I am really not up on much music recorded in recent decades.

To Concord, I too am old and clean toilets. You might want to branch off into janitorial supplies wholesaling or something like that. :smile:

I used to get high playing the drums. Surely its dopamine, isn't it ? Bio-people ?

Usually one feels high after expressing oneself in a pleasing fashion.

wasteofo2 said:
I feel high after playing my guitar, any explanations?

I think the lesson here is that one should never play the guitar when driving or operating large machinery.

It's definitely your guitar baby. I get the same feeling. And the fact that you were inspired and channeled that inspiration into an accomplishment..yeah, kind of like alcohol. The more you get or accomplish, the more you want. And you are also probably in love with your guitar. I am in love with mine too.

The "high" feeling would be endogenous opioids. Dopamine is part of the pathway that leads to the opioid neurons, so you're partially right there. You must have REALLY been excited about that music to have gotten that much of a rush from it! That, or you forgot to eat your dinner while getting so excited about the music and the "high" feeling was really light-headedness from hunger ;-)

1. Why do I feel high after playing my guitar?

Playing an instrument, like the guitar, can activate the reward centers in the brain, releasing dopamine and causing a feeling of pleasure or euphoria. This can mimic the feeling of being "high" and is often referred to as a "natural high."

2. Is this feeling normal?

Yes, it is normal to feel a sense of euphoria or happiness after playing an instrument, especially if you are passionate about it. This feeling is often associated with a sense of accomplishment and can be a form of stress relief.

3. What is happening in my brain when I feel high after playing my guitar?

When you play an instrument, your brain releases dopamine, a neurotransmitter that is associated with pleasure and reward. This dopamine release can cause a feeling of euphoria, similar to the feeling of being "high."

4. Does this mean I am addicted to playing my guitar?

No, feeling high after playing an instrument does not necessarily mean you are addicted. It is a normal response to an enjoyable activity. However, if you feel like you cannot function without playing your guitar or it is negatively affecting your daily life, it may be a sign of addiction.

5. How can I replicate this feeling without playing my guitar?

There are many activities that can release dopamine and give you a similar feeling of pleasure and euphoria. Some examples include exercise, listening to music, spending time with loved ones, and trying new hobbies. Find what brings you joy and make time for it in your daily life.