Improving Performance in Physics C: Tips and Recommendations

• Thread starter lord12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Failure
In summary, if you struggle in physics, it may be helpful to practice with word problems, table of concepts, and tutorials.
lord12
For some reason, I'm doing very well in Calculus BC but in Physics C I just blank out. We are doing applications of Newton's Laws and it seems easy, but usually I just blank out one a major test. I feel like an idot compared to everyone else. I would like some reccomendations on how I can do better in this class.(i.e. better study habits, good supplements)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't judge yourself on the basis of the performance of others. You study to learn physics for yourself, right? Besides, failing things is how you learn. I mess up occasionally too. Fortunately! Failure is the source of learning new things.

The way to learn physics is to make a lot of exercises. Doing physics is a skill most of all. That means reading a book and 'understanding' what the book says is not enough. You have practice a lot and solve a lot of problems. Inspect the methodology of the solution etc. That's how you learn. The only reason why you really learn by solving problems is so you can screw up, see your error, learn from it and do it right on the exam.
'Blanking out' (almost always) comes from lack of understanding or practice. By doing problems you are confronted with this directly, that's why it's so important. Struggling with it is...healthy.
If you are really really stuck on a problem you can post your problem in the homework section for help. When you got the solution, look back and inspect the solution to see where your difficulties were and how it is resolved. The failure to do this problem will be the root for better understanding of the physics.

So see failure as a source of inspiration! And be sure to be confronted with this before an exam.

Last edited:
lord12 said:
For some reason, I'm doing very well in Calculus BC but in Physics C I just blank out. We are doing applications of Newton's Laws and it seems easy, but usually I just blank out one a major test. I feel like an idot compared to everyone else. I would like some reccomendations on how I can do better in this class.(i.e. better study habits, good supplements)

PF exists as a resource for students and others studying mathematics, physics and other sciences.

First of all, as Galileo mentioned, don't judge yourself by others' performance.

Now if you do well in math, but not so well in physics, then perhaps you have some difficulty in translating work problems into the mathematics.

So the idea would be to practice with word problems. Learn how to translate words and phrases into symbols and equations.

Perhaps write a table of concepts and equations.

Also, we have many tutorials of various subjects in physics.
Introductory Physics Tutorials - https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160

And we have the homework sections for people to ask questions about problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How can I study effectively for Physics C?

In order to study effectively for Physics C, it is important to review your class notes regularly, practice solving problems, and utilize resources such as textbooks, study guides, and online tutorials. It may also be helpful to form a study group with classmates and discuss concepts and problem-solving strategies together.

2. What are some common mistakes that students make in Physics C?

Some common mistakes that students make in Physics C include not fully understanding the fundamental concepts, rushing through problem-solving without checking for errors, and not seeking help when they are struggling. It is important to take the time to fully understand the concepts and take a deliberate approach to problem-solving.

3. How can I improve my understanding of difficult concepts in Physics C?

If you are struggling with understanding certain concepts in Physics C, it may be helpful to seek help from your teacher, a tutor, or online resources. It may also be beneficial to break the concept down into smaller parts and practice applying it in different contexts. Additionally, try to relate the concept to real-life examples to help with understanding.

4. What are some tips for improving my performance on exams in Physics C?

Some tips for improving your performance on exams in Physics C include practicing solving problems under timed conditions, reviewing past exams and identifying areas for improvement, and staying organized and managing your time effectively during the exam. It is also important to get enough rest and stay calm and focused during the exam.

5. How can I stay motivated to continue improving in Physics C?

To stay motivated in Physics C, it is important to set goals for yourself and track your progress. Celebrate small achievements and use them as motivation to continue working hard. It may also be helpful to find a study partner or join a study group to keep each other accountable and motivated. Lastly, remember that improvement takes time and effort, so be patient with yourself and don't get discouraged.