I feel stupid for askin this but

• Thread starter Sicewa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
In summary, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle says that you can't know both the position and the momentum of a particle at the same time.
Sicewa
I'm kinda confused about atoms.

Basically when particles came into existence, they were affecting other particles so they were being "seen", which would allow them to have a position so they could come together to form atoms, right? I'm so confused about atoms after learning about Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, sorry if this question is stupid.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have trouble understanding what your question is. However when particles came into existence (after the big bang) there was too much energy around for atoms to form. It took about 380,000 years before things cooled down enough for atoms to form. What is your concern about Heisenberg's principle in this context?

Sicewa said:

Basically when particles came into existence, they were affecting other particles so they were being "seen", which would allow them to have a position so they could come together to form atoms, right? I'm so confused about atoms after learning about Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, sorry if this question is stupid.

No, this is certainly not a stupid question but rather no question at all. When your confusion has leveled you might probably want to try asking again.

Sicewa, Heisenberg's principle does not say that you can't measure the position of a particle.

Geez after reading what I wrote even I have no idea what the heck I was talking about. Anyway I understand it now, I think, thanks.

Even if we bounce a particle off another particle to measure position, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Rule still holds.

Sicewa said:

maybe decoherence, check relevant books and articals.This is really a long story traced back to Einstein and Borh's dispute.Basic ideas is environment degrees of freedom which are orthogonal states entangles with the system to be measured makes the system bahaves like classical esembles of "classical" states.
for all practical purpose,you can just assumpt that a wave function collapes when the relevant quantity is measured. That is to say , the moon come into existence when you watch it.

1. Why do I feel stupid for asking certain questions?

Feeling stupid for asking a question is a common experience, but it is important to remember that asking questions is a vital part of learning and growing. It shows that you are curious and seeking knowledge. It is completely normal to feel unsure or embarrassed when asking a question, but it is a sign of bravery and intelligence to overcome those feelings and ask anyway.

2. How can I overcome feeling stupid when asking questions?

One way to overcome feeling stupid when asking questions is to remind yourself that everyone has questions, and it is better to ask and learn than to stay silent and remain ignorant. You can also try to shift your perspective and view asking questions as a strength rather than a weakness. Lastly, surrounding yourself with supportive and encouraging people can also help boost your confidence in asking questions.

3. What if people judge me for asking a "stupid" question?

It is important to remember that people who judge you for asking a question are not worth your time or energy. True intelligence and kindness lie in being open to learning and helping others understand. If someone does judge you for asking a question, try to brush it off and continue seeking knowledge. Surround yourself with people who encourage and support your curiosity.

4. How can I ask questions in a way that doesn't make me feel stupid?

One way to ask questions in a way that doesn't make you feel stupid is to do some research beforehand. This can help you have a better understanding of the topic and ask more specific and informed questions. You can also practice asking questions in a confident and assertive tone, rather than timid or apologetic. Lastly, remember that there are no stupid questions, only opportunities to learn.

5. Is it better to stay silent and not ask questions if I feel stupid?

No, it is not better to stay silent and not ask questions. Asking questions is a valuable way to gain knowledge and understanding. If you have a question, it is likely that others have the same question but are too afraid to ask. By asking questions, you not only help yourself but also others who may benefit from the answer. Remember, there are no stupid questions, only missed opportunities to learn.