Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I finally got it. I finally know what women is thinking!

1. Dec 30, 2006 #1
    http://magazines.ivillage.com/cosmopolitan/sex/no/articles/0,,426367_699012-1,00.html

Previously, i don t "understand" why so many women do this in front of me, and now, i do! So when woman does this behavior, she is actually into a guy! I always thought this was some weird thing women do. Just like women tend to be more socialable, and emotional.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

Well, since it contains a smile, it was not hard to conclude that it's a green light. :biggrin:

4. Dec 30, 2006 #3
    I hate all this stupid understand-my-indirect-expressions/gestures crap. All this pretending and trying, and silent messages, and expectations. I absolutely hate this.

5. Dec 30, 2006 #4

radou

Homework Helper

Yes, sometimese these 'games' can get too far. But that depends on the person playing.

6. Dec 30, 2006 #5
    Finally, women know the secret to picking up men :rolleyes:

7. Dec 30, 2006 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought it was "Lift with the knees, not with the back".

8. Dec 30, 2006 #7

turbo

Gold Member

AND keep the load close to your body. :tongue2:

9. Dec 30, 2006 #8
    Guess again: a lot of them are just doing it to see if they can get a reaction. In my recent experience, the only women who use such a look are married. (I'm a good deal older than most here.)

10. Dec 30, 2006 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And much more effective than trying to flutter your eyelashes at them...afterall, we know it's the men who got all the nice long eyelashes. :biggrin:

And, t_e, just because they're married doesn't mean they weren't interested. :wink: You probably just waited too long and their husband had returned to the room before you got a chance to explore it further. :tongue: I can't help you if it's only married women who are finding you attractive. :rofl:

I do find it amusing that the guys here complain about women not just being more direct, yet it's not like they just went up and told the woman they were interested either. If you're sitting around waiting to figure out if we're interested and trying to subtley gain our attention before approaching us, why are you complaining if we're doing the same? :uhh:

11. Jan 1, 2007 #10
    Pop quiz: as a matter of reality, not as a matter of ideals, whqt would you say the ratio of first advances made by men as opposed to women is?

I've no hard statistics, but it'd be interesting to hear your answer. Disregarding the "clear and obvious signs" (a claim immediately discredited in that same thread by all the other women's tales of misread signals, I might point out), I'd put the number well north of 10:1.

Yes, there are exceptions. No, the exceptions don't matter. Even if the exceptions were to wear signs proclaiming thier status, the non-exceptions would immediately start wearing them, too.

I'd also like to point out that generalizations are useful. Some people find them evil by nature. But I do not typically carry hatpin with me for the purpose of jabbing everyone I chance to talk to. While there is doubtless some some fraction of the population who would be absolutely thrilled by the experience, in general the results would be highly counterproductive.

12. Jan 1, 2007 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Honestly, I think your ratio is reversed. It's a little hard to say, because there are those men that think they are God's gift to women who will hit on anything that moves and are more noticeable (though not in a good way), but generally, men seem to stand around shuffling their feet until the woman finally walks up to them and initiates interaction. Ask people in long-term relationships (married or not) who initiated the relationship, and quite a lot of them will tell you it was the woman. Just read the "Girl Trouble" thread. Some of those women have all but clubbed the guy over the head and dragged them off, yet they're still sitting around pondering, "Does she like me?"

It doesn't get any more clear and obvious than "If you buy me a Teddy Ruxpin, I'll love you forever." :wink: :biggrin:

Edit:
    I was looking to see if I could find any actual poll results to answer the question. Haven't, but instead found this wiki book. :rofl:
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Relationships/How_Men_Select_Women

It says:
    Well, it jives with my view that the only guys who seem ask women out are the losers, but keep a firm grip on your sense of humor while reading. It does address a lot of stereotypes.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  13. Jan 1, 2007 #12
    I'm not sure animal studies are really relevant in this context. Remember, I am restricting this to reality: to what is, not what should be.

I am also not referring to all the "clear and obvious signs" featured in that other discussion. I am referring to concrete, unambiguous actions, such as asking for a date.

I don't know what country you're living in (and I do hear it is different overseas), but the one I'm in, if a guy never asks, he never gets a date, not one (well, perhaps two or three over the course of a lifetime, hardly a significant number).

How does this work? By not asking for a date up-front, the guy becomes "a friend". As written all over the place in various advice columns, friends almost by definition do not date friends. It is almost impossible to convert the one form of interaction into the other.

14. Jan 1, 2007 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I told you to keep your sense of humor intact when reading that article! :tongue:

I disagree entirely. Every guy I've seriously dated (as opposed to just going out for dinner or drinks and then never talking to him again because we had nothing in common) started out as a friend first. Actually, just running through a list of married friends in my mind, they all started out as friends first too. The only examples I can think of where people got married when they met as total strangers and started dating that way are two cousins who are both divorced.

So, again, I think it depends on what you're trying to get out of going on dates. If you're just looking for quantity, guys asking out women works better than not asking. But, if you're looking for quality, you need to develop friendships first, and then the woman is the one who usually progresses that friendship to a dating relationship.

15. Jan 1, 2007 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You'd think they wouldn't have been total strangers seeing as they were cousins and all.:tongue2:

16. Jan 1, 2007 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Two cousins of mine (they are actually twins) and their respective ex-husbands. One of them met her ex on a plane...talk about an unusual place to ask someone out. I think she only went out with him initially because she was surprised to be asked on a plane (and he is a very good looking guy, but turned out to be a control freak). Both of my cousins will admit now that they were just more interested in the idea of getting married rather than who it was they were getting married to, so settled for the first guys who asked, which does not a lasting marriage make. :wink:

17. Jan 1, 2007 #16

DaveC426913

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: Curse you MiH. I actually sprayed my screen with my drink.

18. Jan 1, 2007 #17

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yes. Apples is to be commended for his tactic of approaching women without bothering with such useless details as whether they're smiling at him, or even looking in his direction. Girls love to be ambushed. :tongue2:

19. Jan 1, 2007 #18

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Women and men are no different when it comes to life strategies, the notion that certain behavioral signals from women mean complete attraction/repulsion is hogwash; although such "rules" may constitute a game, the actual result is the direct brainwashing of the "man" and the fun ultimately belongs to the "woman." The key here is fun, it's all fun, as in one big joke. Men have their way of having fun and so do women, it's just that with women, it's more disclosed and not explicit. A woman can implicate freely, however, she can say "I don't know what you're referring to" at any point. Manipulation is fun, the simple fact is that women are able to control a man's mind (most of them being morons) for real.

20. Jan 1, 2007 #19

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry. :redface: We have different ideas about courtship where I come from. :smile:

21. Jan 1, 2007 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It must be the cat face confusing him. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?