Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I finally got it!

1. Apr 18, 2008 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am now viewing PF from my brand new Safari browser on my brand new Macbook!

I am so glad I got this. Loving it already!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2008 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to the good side of the Force. :cool:

4. Apr 18, 2008 #3
    Noooo Macs are the dark side... They should be banned :P

5. Apr 18, 2008 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Congrats G01 on seeing the light! :biggrin:

6. Apr 18, 2008 #5
    I'm really happy for you, its so much fun to have new things.{mutters under breath} {even if it is a Mac}

7. Apr 18, 2008 #6

wolram

Gold Member

I wish i could afford a Mach book.

8. Apr 18, 2008 #7

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The same.

One dark side of Safari is that it is not particularly good with web pages written by IT maroons who think that the internet is Internet Exploder and ActiveX. You might want to download Firefox. Many financial and medical web sites simply don't work properly with Safari. Most do work with Firefox. Some of those that don't work with Safari or Firefox do work with the Mac version of Exploder. For a select few you have two choices: use a PC or take your business elsewhere.

9. Apr 18, 2008 #8

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One of us..one of us...one of us...

I like just walking around the house holding my MacBook. How did they make it simply feel so nice?

10. Apr 18, 2008 #9
    PC ftw. You all can go take your virus free, however, interfacably challenged computers elseware. I'm happy with Vista. My computer is fast as lightning. I never get viruses. The GUI is amazing, and I have a build in fingerprint scanner.

Not a fan of Mac is the main point of my argument :biggrin:.

11. Apr 18, 2008 #10

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Phhff, forget Mac & Windows - bring on the Linux! Faster and more stable than Vista, with the added benefit of being virus free and highly customisable. Okay perhaps the interface isn't as pretty but it's far more usable than either Windows or Mac :tongue2:

12. Apr 18, 2008 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I even knew where to start with it, I'd probably try it. Then again, the only reason I'm using a PC is because of that problem DH mentioned where not all ITiots set up sites compatible with anything other than Explorer on a PC (I fought that and at least got Firefox compatible sites at work...and FINALLY they unbroke the thing they broke that made it incompatible with Safari, so I can use Safari again when I'm at home...one of the IT guys in the department I hope to move into is a major Mac fan, so I'm REALLY looking forward to being able to work in an office where there is Mac support again so I can rid myself of this clunky windows beast).

13. Apr 18, 2008 #12
    Congrats! and I agree with D H about Firefox. I am absolutely FED UP with Safari, and if I get any down time this weekend I intend to download Firefox. Safari crashes my imac constantly. So is it the ultra thin one? huh? huh? huh? :D

14. Apr 18, 2008 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Funny, I've never had any problems with Safari other than the few incompatible sites, and they never crashed anything. You might want to just try reinstalling Safari...maybe something didn't install right or you have a software conflict of some sort. People have reported Firefox crashing their Macs over in the computer forum, though I haven't had that problem either.

15. Apr 18, 2008 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

G01, did you get the super-thin one, the "Air" or whatever they call it?

16. Apr 18, 2008 #15

Danger

Gold Member

MIH, that 'Air' is one sweet machine. I chose the MacBook (rather than Pro or Air) primarily for financial reasons. I can't imagine ever needing the power of the Pro, and the Air doesn't have an optical drive.

17. Apr 18, 2008 #16

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ubuntu (www.ubuntu.com) is probably the most user-friendly. Full graphical installer with very good hardware support. Go for it MB, come over to the dark side :wink:

18. Apr 18, 2008 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm afraid it's not likely to be any more compatible with our network servers than the Macs are. The moment our IT department gets overtaken by people who actually know what they're doing and set everything up to be fully compatible and offer support across platforms, I'll go for it (because if I screw it up, I can always go back to macs). I also still need Windoze for a government grants software package that can't keep up with Mac upgrades (I don't expect anything better from the government though).

19. Apr 18, 2008 #18

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have the Yael Naim (she does the "New Soul" song) CD - that's as close as I'll be getting to a Mac. LOL

We did get one of the ASUS EEE PCs at work the other day for evaluation. That thing is SO tiny. I am going to test drive it around campus next week and see how good it is for taking notes and sending email.

20. Apr 18, 2008 #19

Danger

Gold Member

Never heard of her, but I'll pull it up on iTunes and check it out. :biggrin:

21. Apr 18, 2008 #20
    Moonbear, I would consider you lucky! My Safari crashes DAILY. Literally. And it crashes the whole system about two times per month and have to reboot. But then I use my computer pretty hard. It is VERY normal for us to have a few web pages open, photoshop, itunes, and probably something else. So maybe in my house it is more user error? <giggle> But I *do* love my mac!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?