Can KeePass Help Me Recover My Forgotten Passwords?

• Bug
  • Thread starter hagop
  • Start date
In summary: It also stores all the passwords in a secure encrypted file.There are also many other password managers that do this.
hagop
hello :

i am have another account on physics forums the account name is
hagopbul

i made that account in 2007 or in 2006 i don't remember

my problem is as following i forgot my password and forgot the email that i used for that account

how i can reset my password ?

Physics news on Phys.org
pinging @Greg Bernhardt :smile:

Also, isn't there a "I forgot my password" link when you try to sign into the old account? That should send a password reset e-mail to your e-mail address on file.

Yes, please try to login and then select "forgot password" to have it sent to your email. Send me a message if your email has changed too.

The OP says,
hagop said:
forgot the email that i used for that account
To @hagop (aka @hagopbul): if you have the passwords to all your email accounts, then you should log-in to each account and see whether you received a password-reset email after clicking on "Forgot password".

Otherwise, the email has to be changed first by Greg before the OP uses "Forgot password".

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I have no problem to do that , how I can change the email

hagop said:
i forgot my password and forgot the email that i used for that account
It's time for you to use a Password Manager like Keepass or Password Safe.

I have about 500 passwords, all of the form "tm;en0nU2#h6dA&G2J/Y", all different and I don't remember, or need to remember, any of them. My password Manager looks after me and even stores every password I have ever used on any given site.

Likes Spinnor and Ibix
Frodo said:
My password Manager looks after me and even stores every password I have ever used on any given site.
At least until your disk crashes.

Gosh! Do you really think I could be so stupid as to rely on something on the PC and not have a backup of it?

I have four back-ups of it, all completely independent. My disk has been destroyed twice but I have never lost a single file.

Likes sysprog
Frodo said:
Do you really think I could be so stupid as to rely on something on the PC...
That was meant more for the thousands of readers that will see this over the future years. No offense intended.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes sysprog and berkeman
I have found password managers to not be fully comfortable to use. Having a password manager which uses an online "cloud" account makes the passwords safer than keeping on local storage. I wish I knew of one which would not ruin what I have whenever I want a new password for a different account on the same online website. I may have something like, aaa@nicemail.com, bbb@nicemail.com, and ccc@nicemail.com, each with its own password. Then if I want to make a password IN my password manager account for ddd@nicemail.com, the attempt RUINS ddd@nicemail.com or one of the others @ nicemail.com within the password manager account. Or it ruins both passwords.

symbolipoint said:
I wish I knew of one which would not ruin what I have whenever I want a new password for a different account on the same online website.
As far as I am aware, the free versions of LastPass, Norton, LogMeOnce and Myki will all work with multiple accounts, and I believe this is true for the paid-for versions of all password managers (it certainly wouldn't be worth paying for one without this feature).

Thank you guys,but yahoo deleted the email duo to inactivity so what should do , the email is gone and I forgot even its password what should I do ?

hagop said:
Thank you guys,but yahoo deleted the email duo to inactivity so what should do , the email is gone and I forgot even its password what should I do ?
Greg said:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Send me a message if your email has changed too.
So, send him a private message requesting him to change the email id of your account. Once he has changed the email, you can use Forgot password to get a password-reset email in your new email account.

symbolipoint said:
I wish I knew of one which would not ruin what I have whenever I want a new password for a different account on the same online website.
The free KeePass does this.

KeePass is particularly easy to use. When you use AutoType to fill in the user_name and password fields, KeePass opens a pop-up window with all the accounts (based on the website - so all gmail IDs on gmail; all yahoo IDs on yahoo etc) and you can select which ID you want to use with a single click.

1. Can KeePass recover my forgotten passwords?

No, KeePass is a password manager that securely stores your passwords, but it does not have the capability to recover forgotten passwords.

2. How does KeePass keep my passwords safe?

KeePass uses strong encryption algorithms to protect your passwords. It also allows you to create a master password, which is the only password you need to remember to access all of your other passwords stored in KeePass.

3. What happens if I forget my KeePass master password?

If you forget your master password, there is no way to recover it. This is why it is important to choose a strong and memorable master password. However, you can reset your master password by deleting your KeePass database and creating a new one.

4. Can I access my passwords on multiple devices with KeePass?

Yes, you can access your KeePass database on multiple devices by syncing it through a cloud storage service or using a third-party app that supports KeePass.

5. Is KeePass a free software?

Yes, KeePass is a free and open-source software, meaning it is available for anyone to use and modify without any cost. However, donations to support the development of the software are greatly appreciated.