I forgot How to do these

I forgot How to do these....

Homework Statement

y = x^2 - 8x + 10
change into y = (x[plus or minus]A)*(x[plus or minus]B)

I just forgot how to do these.... real fast could someone solve w/ showing work?

Thanks. I just don't remember how to do it.....

Answers and Replies

You need to find 2 numbers that give you the difference of -8 and the product of positive 10.

Since you won't be able to find it by simple factorization, you have to use the quadratic formula.

Google is your friend!

Oh ok thanks.

yea, i was just running factors over and over in my head and i wasn't coming up with anything, I'm kind of brain dead, so i wasn't sure if it was just me. Thanks.

1 and 10
2 and 5

:(

You need to find 2 numbers that give you the difference of -8 and the product of positive 10.

Since you won't be able to find it by simple factorization, you have to use the quadratic formula.

Google is your friend!
when i type in on Google quadratic formula, then i plug the equations in, it tells me x=16 and x = 8

?????? not the answer i need.

also those were wrong, i did it wrong. hold on

Nope ... try it again.

ok i think i got it, is it just (x - [8+[tex]\sqrt{24}[/tex]/2]) * (x - [8-[tex]\sqrt{24}[/tex]/2])?

ok i think i got it, is it just (x - [8+[tex]\sqrt{24}[/tex]/2]) * (x - [8-[tex]\sqrt{24}[/tex]/2])?
Yes, but don't forget to reduce!

by that, you just mean plugging it into a calculator and finding the answer, correct?

which happens to be 6.5505 & 1.4495 correct?

by that, you just mean plugging it into a calculator and finding the answer, correct?

which happens to be 6.5505 & 1.4495 correct?
No. [tex]\frac{8 \pm \sqrt{4 \cdot 6}}{2}[/tex] can reduce.

so 4 [tex] \pm \sqrt{2*3} [/tex]?

Yeppp.