Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I forgot long division

1. Jul 16, 2005 #1
    I forgot long division!!!

:yuck: I just realized something very scary! I totally forgot how to do long division! I can't belive it can some one please explain!!! :surprised

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2005 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

4. Jul 16, 2005 #3
    Thanks! And its not funny that I am mathematically challenged! :wink:

5. Jul 16, 2005 #4
    Hmm--exactly how are you "mathematically challenged" ?

6. Jul 16, 2005 #5
    he can't do long division

7. Jul 16, 2005 #6

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Laughing with, not at you. :rofl:

Long division is one of those skills that we tend to lose as we get accustomed to calcs and comps. Luckily I haven't lost mine. In fact, it's one of the ways I try to get to sleep. Just the other night, I was trying to figure out [itex]\ln 10[/itex] in bed. I knew [itex]\ln 2 \approx 0.693[/itex] and [itex]\log 2 \approx 0.301[/itex]. So I figured that [itex]\ln 10 = \frac{\log_2 10}{\log_2 e} = \frac{\ln 2}{\log 2} \approx \frac{693}{301} \approx 2.30[/itex], after doing the long division in my head. Then I fell asleep. :zzz:

Some people count sheep. I do this. :biggrin:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2005
  8. Jul 17, 2005 #7
    I remember long division--quite relaxing indeed (assuming the divisor was only 2 or 3 digits), because I could make up my own numbers to divide. But long division is not hard, just tedious.

9. Jul 17, 2005 #8
    I am totally helpless without a calculator. It's something I am trying to work on thats how I found this place. :tongue:

10. Jul 17, 2005 #9

Gza

I am a senior physics undergrad, and i have forgotten how to do long division (along with forgetting my times tables, from time to time lol.) That hasn't really hampered my mathematical enrichment, since algorithmic methods such as long division are easily performed on calculators, and I see little use in needing to remember having to do it after learning it in grade school.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?