How do I do long division again?

• Thread starter OPTIDONN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Division
In summary, a person is seeking help to remember how to do long division and is reminded of a helpful website for reference. The conversation then turns to a discussion about the usefulness of long division and the speaker's personal experience with it.
OPTIDONN
I forgot long division!

:yuck: I just realized something very scary! I totally forgot how to do long division! I can't believe it can some one please explain!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Thanks! And its not funny that I am mathematically challenged! :wink:

OPTIDONN said:

Hmm--exactly how are you "mathematically challenged" ?

he can't do long division

OPTIDONN said:

Laughing with, not at you. :rofl:

Long division is one of those skills that we tend to lose as we get accustomed to calcs and comps. Luckily I haven't lost mine. In fact, it's one of the ways I try to get to sleep. Just the other night, I was trying to figure out [itex]\ln 10[/itex] in bed. I knew [itex]\ln 2 \approx 0.693[/itex] and [itex]\log 2 \approx 0.301[/itex]. So I figured that [itex]\ln 10 = \frac{\log_2 10}{\log_2 e} = \frac{\ln 2}{\log 2} \approx \frac{693}{301} \approx 2.30[/itex], after doing the long division in my head. Then I fell asleep. :zzz:

Some people count sheep. I do this. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I remember long division--quite relaxing indeed (assuming the divisor was only 2 or 3 digits), because I could make up my own numbers to divide. But long division is not hard, just tedious.

bomba923 said:
Hmm--exactly how are you "mathematically challenged" ?
I am totally helpless without a calculator. It's something I am trying to work on that's how I found this place. :tongue:

I am a senior physics undergrad, and i have forgotten how to do long division (along with forgetting my times tables, from time to time lol.) That hasn't really hampered my mathematical enrichment, since algorithmic methods such as long division are easily performed on calculators, and I see little use in needing to remember having to do it after learning it in grade school.

1. What is long division?

Long division is a method of dividing two numbers by repeatedly subtracting multiples of the divisor from the dividend until the remainder is less than the divisor.

2. How do I perform long division?

To perform long division, first write the dividend (number being divided) on the left and the divisor (number being divided by) on the right. Then, divide the first digit of the dividend by the divisor and write the result above the dividend. Multiply the result by the divisor and write the product below the first digit of the dividend. Subtract the product from the first digit of the dividend and write the remainder below the product. Repeat this process until all digits of the dividend have been used. The final result is the quotient (answer) and the last remainder is the remainder.

3. What do I do if I forget how to do long division?

If you forget how to do long division, it is helpful to review the steps and practice with simple numbers. You can also use a calculator to check your work and make sure you are following the correct steps.

4. Why is long division important?

Long division is an important skill to have because it is used for solving many real-life problems, such as dividing money, calculating measurements, and finding the average of a set of numbers. It can also help with understanding more complex mathematical concepts.

5. What are some tips for remembering how to do long division?

Some tips for remembering how to do long division include practicing regularly, using mnemonic devices or rhymes, breaking down the steps into smaller parts, and seeking help from a teacher or tutor if needed. It is also helpful to understand the concept behind long division rather than just memorizing the steps.