1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I found a proof for the vector chain rule, but it makese no sense to me!

1. Oct 2, 2005 #1
    Hello everyone, our professor wanted us to find the vector chain rule proof and i found one here:
    But it makes no sense to me, where are the limits?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2005 #2
    Taking the limit is implied when the author says "Now as we let delta t go to zero". This kind of proof relies a bit more on mathematical intuition than the definition for the derivative you learn in Calc I. For one thing, it implies you're familiar with approximating things by Taylor series. Which part of the proof are you having trouble with?
  4. Oct 2, 2005 #3
    hah well i did take that in calc II but forgot even how that works, but i dont get how he starts off saying, lets first notice a few things... x(t+change in t) = x + chag in x
    then he goes to say:
    now by linear approximation...what the? is there another proof that goes through the limits, i understand that alot better. He told us to find proofs and make sure we understand them, so he isn't grading this, but he will probably tell us to prove it on an exam
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?