1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I freaking hate oscilliations

1. Jan 11, 2005 #1
    A 1.00 kg object attached to a spring of force constant 41.0 N/m oscillates on a horizontal, frictionless track. At t = 0, the object is released from rest at x = -3.00 cm. (That is, the spring is compressed by 3.00 cm.)

Find the displacement, velocity and acceleration as functions of the time t.

my answer:

my legend:
    w= angular frequency
    &= phase constant

ok, so for displacement: x(t)=Acos(wt+&)
    velocity: -wAsin(wt+&)
    acceleration: -w^2Acos(wt+&)

A = max displacement, which is .03 m in this case

w= 2(pi)(f)

where f=1/T

where T=2(pi)(square root of m/k)

so solving for all that, i get w=6.41 which i know is right...

so now how do i solve the question?? HOw do i solve each of those equations as a function of something? i have no idea how to do this, i been stuck on this problem forever and i keep getting the wrong answer

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1.If the mass and the elestic constant is give,then it's given [itex] \omega [/itex]

2. Take the general solution for the periodic motion
    [tex] x(t)=A\sin(\omega t+\phi) [/tex]
    and impose the codition that,at the initial time,the x must be "-A".You'll get the phase.Then to get 'v' and 'a' u need to differentiate wrt time.

4. Jan 11, 2005 #3
    do you mean cos instead of sin??

also a quick quesiton, when calculating, do i use radian or degree mode in my graphing calc?

5. Jan 11, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1.The anwer will come out with "-cos".
    2.I don't know what will work with your computer... :confused:

6. Jan 11, 2005 #5
    Use radians for your calculator unless you're very sure that you're working with degrees.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?