Quitting My Addiction: How I Got Over My "!" Obsession

• Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
In summary, the person's addiction to ! started with a game where they would say something about the person above them. They got used to using it and now it's a habit. They think it's funny to use it in every post. Unfortunately, they are too far gone to stop and are going to have to use ! less.
yomamma said:
what I mean is like a chat room with a voice feature, for people who are smart enough to have a mic for their PC. and then we can have video conversation!
Smart enough?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lisa! said:
I wish I could! :uhh: You know my voice is sarcastic, but some people can't understand it and take it serious.

There are people that take you seriously?

By the way, has my explanations helped you to understand why I use ! a lot or not? For example why I used ! at "The lack of Danger" thread?

I'm still not too sure. You began by saying you started to use them as part of some inside-joke thingy or what not, and then became addicted. Now you're saying that it is an extension of your natural sarcasm. Perhaps an attempt to ensure that people don't take what you say too seriously? Is that what you mean?

loseyourname said:
There are people that take you seriously?
Yes, people who don't know me good enough.

I'm still not too sure. You began by saying you started to use them as part of some inside-joke thingy or what not, and then became addicted. Now you're saying that it is an extension of your natural sarcasm. Perhaps an attempt to ensure that people don't take what you say too seriously? Is that what you mean?[/QUOTE]
I admit that I use it sometimes as inside-joke thing but not in this site. In another site I always put ! instead of ".". But I told you why I said I got addicted to it.
I don't agree about all of what you said but well you can put it this way, because it could be true somehow.

I think I'm starting to understand. Let me see if I can phrase this more clearly. I get the impression that at some in the past, when you were not using exclamation points at the end of every sentence, people became upset at certain things you said. You didn't mean any harm, but they were taking you too seriously, not realizing that you often spoke lightheartedly or even in jest. To remedy this, you began to use exclamation points at the end of your sentences to demonstrate that there should be no heavy weight attached to them. Is that about accurate?

Note: This does not necessarily have to have been taking place on the internet. It is entirely possible that you say sarcastic or lighthearted things in person as well, and people are often offended when they take it the wrong way.

loseyourname said:
I think I'm starting to understand. Let me see if I can phrase this more clearly. I get the impression that at some in the past, when you were not using exclamation points at the end of every sentence, people became upset at certain things you said. You didn't mean any harm, but they were taking you too seriously, not realizing that you often spoke lightheartedly or even in jest. To remedy this, you began to use exclamation points at the end of your sentences to demonstrate that there should be no heavy weight attached to them. Is that about accurate?

Note: This does not necessarily have to have been taking place on the internet. It is entirely possible that you say sarcastic or lighthearted things in person as well, and people are often offended when they take it the wrong way.
Well done. You get one of my main points. I mean I explained other cases which don't apply to what you said. :smile:

If you're going to have to deal with this addiction to ! for your entire life, you need a mentor to help you!

I'd recommend Dayle Record! While she doesn't have any particular fondness for !, she has raised the , to a level of art unattainable by even Charles Shulz, the master of artistic punctuation himself! Dayle has made, in spite of the, generally, gramatically inhibited community here, the , the penultimate, non-pareil, absolutely awsometastic, favorite punctuation mark, used by the majority, or at least the core, of PF addicts at least once, or twice, or maybe even three times or more, and sometimes even thirty-eight times in one post!, in almost all of the replies, ruminations, and brilliant thoughts disgorged, expelled, and spewed by their fast, and furiously flying, fingers. Long time members still recall, with a profound awe, at that, the time Dayle was able to use the , as a verb, noun, adjective, and adverb in a single sentence, a feat more remarkable in the fact that she didn't use the , as a punctuation mark even once!

Oh, no! MIH was wrong! There is an evil Bob!

Careful - we may have to strip you of your Bob moniker.

Math Is Hard said:
Careful - we may have to strip you of your Bob moniker.
Can't we just strip him? :devil:

Hey, Lisa! Look! I'm visible again! :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Can't we just strip him? :devil:
I like the way you think, sis. :wink: :devil:

BobG, thanks because of ! :smile:

Hey Look Moonbear is visible again :bugeye: I was really tired of invisible Moonbear. :devil:

You're an o:) (did you like this idea? I use or :bugeye: instead of !
which one is better or :bugeye: ?)

Math Is Hard said:
Moonbear said:
Can't we just strip him?

I like the way you think, sis.

:bugeye: Hmm, that just isn't quite right. Maybe :!) ? Wait, one of you knows how to use strange electronic devices. Hmm, I think Greg needs to add a couple new smilies. :rofl:

Lisa! said:
BobG, thanks because of ! :smile:

Hey Look Moonbear is visible again :bugeye: I was really tired of invisible Moonbear. :devil:

You're an o:) (did you like this idea? I use or :bugeye: instead of !
which one is better or :bugeye: ?)

Okay, okay, you can use exclamation points! :rofl:

! moonbear's visible! must...print...screen!

Moonbear said:
Okay, okay, you can use exclamation points! :rofl:
Good. I was afraid that you'd say it was a good idea. Then what would happen to my username? :cry:

Lisa or Lisa :bugeye: (I prefer Lisa :devil: )

Don't worry, Lisa! I think I'm developing an addiction to the semicolon; It's more than a comma but not quite a period; It really keeps things flowing. :!)
I say embrace your eccentricity; I don't want to be alone!

honestrosewater said:
Don't worry, Lisa! I think I'm developing an addiction to the semicolon; It's more than a comma but not quite a period; It really keeps things flowing. :!)
I say embrace your eccentricity; I don't want to be alone!
Is there any relation btw age and these addictions!? :wink:

Lisa! said:
Is there any relation btw age and these addictions!? :wink:
I'll have to consult my Magic 8-Ball... YES! Well, that settles that.

honestrosewater said:
I'll have to consult my Magic 8-Ball... YES! Well, that settles that.

I recently noticed a Magic 8-ball on my lab head's desk. His secretary got it for him to help with those "important" administrative decisions. :rofl: