• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

I get nervous during exam

• Testing
  • Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I don't know why, but before exams I get nervous and the night before while I slept, I was "awake"

My hand was literally shaking this morning and I ended up making some oversights on my exam today (I can feel it...)

I already try those "breath in" techniques and such, but none of them is working, I even slapped myself to wake up

Answers and Replies

I have a very similar problem; the only thing I can say that really works is taking about 30-45 minutes before the exam to just relax and have some fun. It really helps me focus on the test when I am relaxed before it. You can also try being as prepared as possible I know if I haven't studied enough I can start to panic during a test. I hope that one of these can you help out some.

You really have to train your brain into a zen-like state for exams. Literally dismiss any thought of failure. If you fail, remind yourself how bad it'll be: you'll have to do a little extra studying, but otherwise one little exam will be nothing. Always go for a 100 on it. Be positive. Be apathetic.

When I walk into class on exam day, I am perfectly calm. If I can do it, so can you.

Failure isn't the end of the world, don't put so much pressure on yourself....

jhae2.718
Gold Member
I'm pretty much the same way as Angry Citizen, to the point where I don't even know the exam schedule until a few days beforehand. If you are afraid of or expect failure, you're psychologically sabotaging yourself. Recognize that you've prepared for the exam and, now that it's time, events are no longer under your control. Walk in, work out the problems, and forget about grades. Don't agonize about problems afterward--there's nothing you can do. As long as you've prepared, you'll do fine.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
For me, working out regularly is a great way to control stress. Not just during high-stress times, like exams, but also little stresses that are part of everyday life. Do you work out much, flyingpig?

I hate working out, I hate jogging, there isn't a pool here so i can't swim (not the best swimmer either and I can't swim with others around)

jtbell
Mentor
Brisk walking will do it, too. Try to set up your routine so you have to walk to go places, then it won't seem so pointless. I live in a small town so I can walk from home to campus and back, from campus to lunch/shopping and back, etc. Yesterday I did three miles just walking to campus, then to the barber shop for a trim after class, then home.

I don't know why, but before exams I get nervous and the night before while I slept, I was "awake"
To get good sleep, stop studying a bit before bedtime and do something you like to do to relax. When you stop studying, think "well, I've done all I could, whatever happens happens." Same when you get to the exam.

Choppy
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Most people get nervious to one extent or another during exams.

First of all, you need to look at your overall approach to preparation. Cramming at the last minute for something that's important to you is a recipe for severe stress. Critically evaluate the approach to studying that you're using. Can you make it more efficient? Can to make it a more regular habit? Do you have a good space where you can study effectively? Are you practicing problems or just reviewing concepts? Are you able to guess the types of questions you will be asked on exams? Talk to your teachers and ask for specific advice. By building confidence in your studying methods, you will reduce anxiety at the time of exams.

Try to develop good, regular sleeping habits. Its one thing to be restless the night before an exam. It's another to operate for weeks on end in a sleep-deprived state.

Spend some time learning about your approach to taking exams. There are all sorts of strategies out there for facing exams. Going in with a plan can take off a lot of pressure. One example is to start by answering the easy questions first. This builds your confidence as you go and gets you in a good mindset before you tackle the moar echallenging ones.

Brisk walking will do it, too. Try to set up your routine so you have to walk to go places, then it won't seem so pointless. I live in a small town so I can walk from home to campus and back, from campus to lunch/shopping and back, etc. Yesterday I did three miles just walking to campus, then to the barber shop for a trim after class, then home.
I live on Campus and my building is like all the way up the top. So it is like at least 10 to 15m above the ground and I live on the third floor, so that's like 15 staircases...

I hate working out, I hate jogging, there isn't a pool here so i can't swim (not the best swimmer either and I can't swim with others around)
Learn to love it then?

Also, there was a study done not too long ago that writing down your thoughts on the exam prior to taking it helps boost your performance. I can't remember what the causes might be or if they even hyphotesized about them, though. I've never done that before, so I can't speak from experience, but I guess trying it a couple of times before your next midterms or exams would only be a waste of an hour or two in total, so it's worth a shot.

Apart from that, others have already given you great advice.

i have the same problem so i tried to sleep early like 9pm but i couldnt so ended sleeping on two hours but i did very well the next exam iwhen i finished my revision i watched like 4 hours tv and i slept well my point is that we should find something we like everyone has something that makes him relax i love watching soccer forza roma