1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I got a different answer

1. Oct 31, 2003 #1
    Response to:
    force question
    i dont understand this..the way the forces go
    if someone could show me how to do it and the steps..that would be great:
    The static friction coefficient btw a wall and a pic is 0.7 while the kinetic one is 0.3. By what force shoudl one push the 6kg pic against the wall so that it will not slide?What if he/she pushed the pic with a force making an angle of 30 degrees to the horizontal (both cases)

1. Break the F into x-y component such as x=Fcos30 ,y = Fsin30
    2.Since friction= U times normal force .and the normal force =Fcos 30
    3.Set f=mg+Fsin30
    U(Fcos30)=6(9.8) + F sin 30
    0.7(Fcos30)=6(9.8) + F sin 30
    F=553.58N

Am I correct ?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2003 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, I don't know. What was the question?

I put it that way because there are actually 3 different questions here.

1) What force is necessary if you push perpendicular to the wall?
    Of course, there is a downward gravitational force of -mg= -6(9.8)= -58.8 Newtons and there has to be enough friction force to overcome that: friction force= UF= .7F. Set .7F= 58.8 and solve for F.

2) What force is necessary if you push at a 30 degree angle to the wall, angled UPWARD. the weight of the picture is still 58.8 Newtons.
    The normal force will be F cos(30) so the friction force will be
    0.7 F cos(30). Now there will be TWO forces vertically: the weight of 58.8 Newtons downward and the force F sin(30) upward of your push.
    The net force downward is 58.8- F sin(30) and that must be offset by
    0.7 F cos(30): Solve 0.7 F cos(30)= 58.8- F sin(30).

3) What force is necessary if you push at a 30 degree angle to the wall, angles DOWNWARD (the problem said "(both ways)"). THIS is the question you answered since you added F sin(30) to mg.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?