Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I got a job

1. Aug 27, 2010 #1
    I got a job!!

Hey everyone!!!

I finally got a job. Thanks for all the feedback and support. It's in research and engineering. It's what I always wanted to do. Except for the couple months when I was cynical and job hunting and wanted to go into finance.

So now I get to start saving and putting money into a 401k. Is there any forum for investing for engineers and physicists? The few times I've talked to financial consultants, the stupidity field surrounding them nearly asphyxiated me. I'd rather talk/chat to an engineer or physicist about this sort of stuff.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2010 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: I got a job!!

That's great news! Congrats to you!!!!

4. Aug 27, 2010 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Congratulations! If you have access to a 401K, that money goes in pre-tax. Some employers match at least a portion of your contribution, so check on that, too. With pre-tax money and matching contributions, you're way ahead. You reduce your taxable income while saving - both good.

You might need to talk to a financial consultant to figure out how to balance your 401K investments. Some people are willing to take on risks in the hope of higher returns, some want really safe, stable funds, and some people are happy in the middle or with a mix of the extremes. I have a pretty good mix of domestic and international-based funds, but there were so many choices that I welcomed the help in building a balanced portfolio.

You may not get a really good financial advisor unless you have already amassed a pretty good amount of money. Then, the investment firms get serious about helping out. I rolled several 401Ks into an IRA with Principal Group, so I got my own personal financial advisor. He's a young guy, very energetic and knowledgeable, and always returns my calls promptly. Can't ask for much more. Good luck!!!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  5. Aug 27, 2010 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Woot! Congrats, welcome to the working world :approve:!

6. Aug 27, 2010 #5

Congratz!!!!

7. Aug 27, 2010 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Well that's planning ahead...

What's a "retirement plan"?

Come to think of it, what's "retirement"?

8. Aug 27, 2010 #7

Everyone who is a financial advisor has a horse in the game. Stock brokers are typically car salespeople who had the brains to pass the series 7.

I can give you some advice, just let me know which funds are in your companies 401k plan.

( long story but I do have a finance degree. I am on an endless run of getting degrees, at my advanced age. The VA is paying the bill. I am not sure which direction I will take my masters degree, but that will end up being free too. ).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook