Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I got a job!

1. Oct 14, 2003 #1
    I just thought i'd share that i've got my first job ever! yeah yeah, i know i should have had one years ago, but i never needed one. my parents pay for everything. So now i do dishes at this local inn, and i just got my first paycheck, $120! wooo... actually i don't even know how much money that really is. i don't know how i'll even spend it. I never really spend money, and when i do, i never pay attention. But yeah... wooooo I'm a workin' gal!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2003 #2
    Congratulations! mmm.... I try to recall - when I've got my first job... it was a long time ago... I was only eleven years old... the assistant of the geodesist.

4. Oct 14, 2003 #3

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Congratulations!

$120... that's about enough to keep you fed for one to two weeks, depending on how often you eat out. Or a weeks worth of rent in a shared house. Or halfway to that new leather biker jacket you've been eyeing. Or a chemistry textbook. Or 1/20th to 1/50th of a semester tuition at a state school. Or...

5. Oct 15, 2003 #4
    120 bucks? It's all in how well you budget. On one hand you could eat for a month on that if you stretched it. On the other hand I haven't paid my cell phone bill yet:wink:

I remember my first check(not counting my paper route when I was 12). it was 80 bucks- a fortune at the time. that was when minimum wage was 4.25 an hour-back back in the ancient, mythical days of yore, where kings and queens ruled the fair land-in other words the 80's.

I think I saved my money and bought a stereo. My how things have changed!(or have they? But if you want to buy a car, you can get a cheap one for about 10 grand- start saving now

6. Oct 15, 2003 #5
    Congratulations! I remember I got my first job when I was 15, that's to tutor a 13 years old student maths. I stopped tutoring this student when I was 16 to prepare for public exams and started tutoring her again last year. I was also a private tutor of a 10 year old kid last year for 2 months. I nearly failed in a few tests in school last year because I didn't have enough time for studying due to the tution jobs!! I didn't even have time to do homework!!

If I have $120, I'll use it to buy books (An A-level biology textbook, Introduction to Elementary Number Theory and Graph Theory), or subscribe to scientific american and discover. Of course, I'll buy one or two CD's.

If I have more money, I'll buy a digital camera (at least 5 million pixels, has good zoom in and out functions and other cool functions), upgrade my computer and buy a pair of high quality binoculars. I'll find jobs after my public exams in April next year and will save up for buying all these.

7. Oct 15, 2003 #6
    Congratulations

8. Oct 15, 2003 #7

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

"So now i do dishes at this local inn'

Uhmm, don't we have dishwashers to do this?

Gale17, have you been keeping information from us? Are you really a dishwasher?

9. Oct 15, 2003 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First job? Repairing crash-damaged cars in my dads garage, and that for a girly girl at 14 :)

10. Oct 15, 2003 #9

Njorl

Science Advisor

My first job was selling TV Guide over the phone, about 23 years ago. I lasted 2 days. I completely lost heart after selling a 99 year old man a 5 year subscription.

Njorl

11. Oct 15, 2003 #10

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I hate telemarketers. Good thing im on that national do-not-call list.

12. Oct 15, 2003 #11

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is that thing finally working than? What I heard, couple of months ago, that people were putting their name on the list and the number of calls trippled :P

13. Oct 15, 2003 #12
    Congrats,btw,I work in a pizzeria and also wash dishes sometimes, apart of my habitual task that is deliver pizzas :smile:

14. Oct 15, 2003 #13

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

first job, hired at the city library shelving books for 15 hours a week at $3.65 an hour...i had more play money then then i do now...

15. Oct 15, 2003 #14

jimmy p

Gold Member

Yeah congratulations...my first job was a clerical assistant in a hospital when i was 16. I helped my mum and other secretaries do all the filing and photocopying and monkey work (eg lifting boxes). Not a very glamourous job, but i got paid ok £4 an hour which is around $6 an hour i think so that is cool. But that wasnt contracted, that was when they needed me i went in

16. Oct 15, 2003 #15
    Someones still gata load/unload/inspect the dishes, keep track of dish inflow/outflow to ensure an adaquate supply of dishes at all times, and maintain the dishwashing units. On top of all that, you've still got the silverware to deal with! Actually sounds like a very demanding position. Definitely worthy of the $120 salary.

Id say it's a keeper... until the time you want something a bit more stimulating, like my job:
    promotional piece regulatory officer

17. Oct 15, 2003 #16
    Good for you, Gale.
    My first involved chopping bush with a machette. I received one or two second-quality boards from a saw mill operation (more bark than board) per week, depending on how much I got done.

18. Oct 15, 2003 #17

Njorl

Science Advisor

Just board? Not room and board? :wink:

Njorl

19. Oct 15, 2003 #18
    oh well, i've babysat and tutored too, but this is my first pasycheck and taxes job. so yeah, i'm awesome. heh, i didn't realize i'd get so many replies to this thread... rather amusing seeing all yall reminiscing bout your old jobs.

20. Oct 15, 2003 #19
    My first job was working construction. Working construction blows. Currently I am unemployed but looking - most jobs at my college were filled before I even got here.

21. Oct 15, 2003 #20
    Wow, I've never had a "real" job. Not for lack of looking, I've just never been hired. (I've been to more interviews than I can count)

I feel so..spoiled now, or something.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?