Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I got a physicist for Christmas!

1. Dec 23, 2004 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ok, so my friends gave me the greatest Christmas gift ever - a physicist!! But the darn instruction manual is all in Japanese!!! :grumpy: He's so adorable, and very interactive - more than I expected - but I have no idea how to care for him or what to feed him. Any suggestions? What do they like to eat? What makes them happy? Do they like to be scratched on the belly, or just behind the ears?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2004 #2
    Heck if I know. Mine is like a damn defective Furrbie. I can tell you where NOT to insert the batteries though.

4. Dec 23, 2004 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That sounds really cool.

What's it like? Pictures?

5. Dec 23, 2004 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll send pics soon. Thank heavens it came pre-assembled!!! I am so useless with those diagrams!

6. Dec 23, 2004 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm surprised you assembled a pre-assembled toy!

I would have got lost. I'm not good with toys, unless its Lego's.

7. Dec 23, 2004 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you suppose I should try to learn its language? (It's very sophisticated and mathematical and I don't even know if I could learn its language. :confused: ) It responds pretty well when I just babble and coo at it in English, and maybe that's enough for basic communication?

8. Dec 23, 2004 #7

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't worry, anything makes physicists happy.

If you hit them in the head with a brick, they're happy kinetic energy is only equal to 1/2 mv^2.

9. Dec 23, 2004 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

In the last survey I saw, 9 out of 10 physicists preferred to have their bellies rubbed and scratched behind the ears. They did have some odd dietary requirements though.

10. Dec 23, 2004 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

do you think he would like frozen brocolli?

11. Dec 23, 2004 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Frozen broccoli was at the top of the list.

12. Dec 23, 2004 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Will it be frightened if I try to kiss it? How long should I wait?

13. Dec 23, 2004 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ooh, how fun, a physicist for Christmas! It's what every girl wants nowadays, and you actually got one! I hear they like being rubbed on the belly, really low on the belly. As for food, that's easy. They can go days without eating if you give them a really good problem to solve, just provide coffee ad libitum and that will cover the drinking part. They require very little maintenance, though they might bite if you try to take that napkin covered in equations away from them at the end of meals. Just let them keep the napkins, and everything will be okay. They are quite wonderful to have around, I'm so glad you got one for Christmas! :biggrin:

14. Dec 24, 2004 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Moonbear, thanks so much for the advice. Ohmigosh - it's so cute! It keeps trying to do little experiments. Should I let it roam around the apartment? Maybe I should get a little terrarium for it that's like its lab at the university.

15. Dec 24, 2004 #14
    Okay, I'm a little lost...What's a physicist? A new toy like furby? :tongue: :redface:

16. Dec 24, 2004 #15

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah - almost exactly the same thing, actually. Just less marketing involved.

17. Dec 24, 2004 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This has got to be politically incorrect, or something.

Anyway, you can also get the action figure but he's called an Engineer.

18. Dec 24, 2004 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you name it yet? :biggrin:

The action figure is really pretty good too. But my experience is they're great for a short time, but don't last long. Physicists really last.

19. Dec 24, 2004 #18
    I thought if you took the Physicist and put his head up his butt you got an Engineer.

20. Dec 24, 2004 #19

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was planning on getting one of those too. I really, really, really want the Chronos model - but they are almost all sold out - in very short supply this year.
    Also, I am afraid he might beat up my physicist. I have heard that Engineers tend to be more aggressive and surly, so I don't know if they make good pets??

Last edited: Dec 24, 2004
  21. Dec 24, 2004 #20

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

oh, mercy - yer killin' me, trib!! :rofl:
    but do you really want to start world war 3 here?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?