1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I got C on physics 1

1. Dec 21, 2009 #1
    Will I be still able to transfer to UIUC school of engineering? I have talked to the Illinois advisor, he said as long as you have 3.0gpa. But would one C derail my chances?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2009 #2

whs

Yes. I'd seriously start re-thinking this whole college thing.

4. Dec 21, 2009 #3
    Are you serious? Is this serious?

You are ruining my night

5. Dec 21, 2009 #4
    Dude, he's messing with you. Post-finals freshie meltdown is kind of cute to watch, but it's also tempting to just poke at you.

It's a C, which is still passing. Trust me, not the end of the world, probably not even the worse grade you'll ever get. They happen, move on. (I'm saying this while in my own bad grade funk, so I really do know what you're feeling sort of.) It probably won't derail your chances, 'specially if the adviser is saying it won't and your overall GPA is over 3.00. They happen, brush yourself off and do better in physics II.

6. Dec 21, 2009 #5
    Don't sweat it. I got a C+ in physics 1 (if I recall correctly). I ended up getting into grad school in physics and passing my PhD qualifier. Truth is, physics 1 is a really hard class. I don't think I understood the material well until after I took advanced classical mechanics as a junior. The key, I think, is to make sure you start improving, and that in your upper level classes you have the grades to show said improvement.

7. Dec 21, 2009 #6
    Thank you so much! That gives me great motivation. Truth is I did not give my best. And it was almost 7 years since I had taken any physics. I am gonna have same prof for physics II. Now I know exactly what is needed to get a decent grade in that class.

8. Dec 26, 2009 #7
    I got a 69 in physics 1, and last summer I won a scholarship that granted me a paid internship at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics + paid for my 4th year tuition costs. don't worry about it ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook