Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I got Lyme's disease!

1. Aug 12, 2006 #1

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Freakin' ticks!

I just got diagnosed this morning with Lyme's disease. Not too surprising since I live just three towns over from Lyme, but dang! Talk about throwing a monkey wrench into my plans! I'm doing a half marathon in three weeks and all my joints are grinding, I've got "sand" in my eyes and I'm fatigued all the time.

Where did this disease come from anyway? It simply didn't exist when I was a kid. [CONSPIRACY]Was it really created by the government on Plum Island?[/CONSPIRACY]

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2006 #2
    Sorry about that, Chi. I've never heard about this disease apart from hearing it on a radio advert.

4. Aug 12, 2006 #3
    We want pics of the juicy bits! :yuck: :surprised

Whats it look like?

5. Aug 12, 2006 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Are you ok? What stage are you in?

6. Aug 12, 2006 #5

Astronuc

Sorry to hear that. Lyme disease, Babesiosis and erlichisosis are significant problems in our area. Deer are a final stop after mice, which are probably the principal vector for the ticks.

Lyme Disease and other Tick-borne Diseases
    http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/environ/lyme/home.htm

http://www.dhss.mo.gov/TicksCarryDisease/

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/communicable_diseases/en/erlich.htm
    http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/ehrlichia/Index.htm
    http://www.ento.vt.edu/HotStuff/Tick.html

It sounds pretty advanced if the joints are aching and and you are fatigued all the time.

I have to be careful around our property. At certain times, I can walk around the periphery and find several ticks waiting to catch onto an animal. Our dog periodically picks up a tick or two, so she must wear a flea collar. And I always check clothes and skin before I step into the house. I however missed a tick a few weeks ago, and found it embedded one evening, and promptly removed it. There was a slight reaction, local swelling and itching, but I have not have any subsequent illness, so I assume I do not have one of the tick-borne diseases.

7. Aug 12, 2006 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, that's not true. It comes from deer ticks, which pick it up from deer mice. Deer do also carry deer ticks, but they aren't the vector for Lyme disease, they just help drop the ticks off in your back yard.

8. Aug 12, 2006 #7

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think our cat (who is a champion mouser) is bringing the ticks into the house. We do live adjacent to wetlands, and I have been collecting firewoord, so I can't be sure.

The bite is on the back part of my triceps (the part of your arm you can't see too easily). It's actually very early stage; my joints aren't that bad. and the fatigue didn't stop me from chopping a full cord of wood this week.

9. Aug 12, 2006 #8

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks like THIS!
    [​IMG]

10. Aug 12, 2006 #9

Evo

Yep, looks like Lyme to me. :bugeye: That sux.

I had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever when I was 11. Got bit by a tick the last day of my Girl Scout camping trip. I was very sick for 6 months.

11. Aug 12, 2006 #10
    It does look just like a giant bulls-eye! :eek: I'd stay away from the Vice President for a while, if I were you.

Are you on antibiotics or anything? Hope you get better...

12. Aug 12, 2006 #11
    Sounds like you need a good dose of Tetracycline.

13. Aug 12, 2006 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From what I read, it goes away in a couple weeks or so after you start treatment. I do think you should save the marathon up for next year.

Try this - it should make you better - I concocted it just for you!

[​IMG]

14. Aug 12, 2006 #13

Evo

:rofl: :rofl: Poor Chi.

15. Aug 13, 2006 #14

Astronuc

One needs to check the cat - use a flea comb. Also, think about a tick/flea collar. If the cat is getting on the furniture, particularly the bed, then make sure ticks are not getting off.

I hope your treatment goes well, and that you get over it quickly.

16. Aug 13, 2006 #15

Astronuc

17. Aug 13, 2006 #16

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I thought I'd go with homeopathy this time. I put a drop of this stuff in a glass of water, then threw it into the front yard and sniffed the air over the grass where it landed. I expect to start feeling better any time now.

18. Aug 13, 2006 #17

Curious3141

Homework Helper

To be precise, the most common zoonotic reservoir (not vector) in your neck of the woods for Borrelia burgdorferi is Peromyscus leucopus, which is the white-footed mouse. Deer mice (if I'm not mistaken) comprise other species within the genus Peromyscus.

Tick nymphs of the genus Ixodes (and others) infest these mice and pick up the Borrelia spirochetes and act as vectors in their transmission to people. Adult ticks preferentially feed on larger mammals like deer, and adult ticks can transmit the spirochete directly to humans. But since transovarial spread of the bacterium in Ixodid ticks is not thought to be important, deer are not as important as white-footed mice in serving as reservoirs of human infection.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2006
  19. Aug 13, 2006 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I guess that's as good as Gokul's remedy for you! :rofl:

20. Aug 13, 2006 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Doh! *smacks forehead* Thanks for the correction.

21. Aug 13, 2006 #20

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I hope you feel great soon Chi Meson.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?