Exploring Rebound Height: A Simple Physics Lab

In summary, the conversation discussed a simple lab conducted in Physics where a ball was dropped from various heights and its rebound height was measured. A model was created to predict the rebound height from any given dropping height. However, it was noted that the model may not be accurate for dropping heights below 8 cm. The conversation also questioned the precision and accuracy of the measurements taken during the lab.
ludi_srbin
In Friday we did simple lab in Physics. We took ball and dropped it measuring dropping height and rebound height. We did 10 trials and 10 times for every trial. We started from 100 cm and went all the way to 10 cm. Then we made a model y =0.75x+2 cm. Where x is dropping height in cm and y is rebound height, also, in cm. We could use this model to predict rebound height from any height. Well the accuracy wasn't really the priority. My question is if I "drop" the ball from height of zero cm I would get reboung height 2 cm, according to my model. How can that be?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, in fact, since the ball never has the rebound height that's greater than the height it was dropped from. So:
[tex]\frac{3}{4}x + 2 \leq x \Leftrightarrow \frac{1}{4}x \geq 2 \Leftrightarrow x \geq 8[/tex]
For any x < 8, it will return a false value.
So the formula can be true for x >= 8 cm. And that's why the smallest height in your work is 10cm, not 0 cm.
Viet Dao,

Apparantly either a linear model is no good for this situation, or your measurements were too imprecise or inaccurate.

Up to which point did you measure the heights of the ball? It's bottom, middle or top?

1. What is the purpose of this physics lab?

The purpose of this physics lab is to explore the relationship between the height from which an object is dropped and the height to which it rebounds.

2. What materials are needed to conduct this lab?

The materials needed for this lab include a ruler, a ball, a flat surface, and a measuring device (such as a tape measure or meter stick).

3. How do I conduct this physics lab?

To conduct this lab, first measure and record the height from which the ball will be dropped. Then, drop the ball from that height onto the flat surface and measure and record the rebound height. Repeat this process for different starting heights and record the results.

4. What is the expected outcome of this lab?

The expected outcome of this lab is to observe a direct relationship between the height from which the ball is dropped and the rebound height. This relationship can be represented by a linear graph, with the starting height on the x-axis and the rebound height on the y-axis.

5. What is the significance of this lab in terms of physics?

This lab demonstrates the principle of conservation of energy, as the potential energy of the ball at the starting height is converted into kinetic energy as it falls and then back into potential energy as it rebounds. It also illustrates the concept of elasticity, as the ball's rebound height is dependent on its material and the surface it bounces off of.