1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I got the formula, what does the angle effect? Net Magnetic force

1. Nov 6, 2005 #1
    Hello everyone, I think im missing this problem because there is an angle invovled, but it doesn't seem to matter what angle it is from what my lecture notes say. but heres the question:
    The bent wire shown in Fig. 28-39 lies in a uniform magnetic field. Each straight section is 2.1 long and makes an angle of = 62° with the x axis, and the wire carries a current of 2.0 A. What is the net magnetic force on the wire in unit-vector notation if the magnetic field is given by each of the following?
    Here is the picture:

Here is my work:
    any ehelp would be great! :smile:

THe formula states: Fbtotal= F1 + F2 + F3 + ... + Fn then it says: F = I(L1 + L2 +....+Ln) x B
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2005 #2
    Right, the angle comes in with the cross product at the end..
  4. Nov 7, 2005 #3
    can you expland that explanation alittle more? How do you apply the cross product with the angle? I know the dot product has like AB = cos/|A||B| but i never heard of one for the cross product of A B.
  5. Nov 7, 2005 #4

Staff: Mentor

The magnitude of [itex]\vec A \times \vec B[/itex] is [itex]AB \sin {\theta}[/itex].
  6. Oct 28, 2008 #5

Wouldn't both the forces be equal and just opposite in direction therefor the net force is zero??
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?