I got the formula, what does the angle effect? Net Magnetic force

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a bent wire in a uniform magnetic field. The wire has two straight sections at an angle of 62° with the x axis and carries a current of 2.0 A. The question asks for the net magnetic force on the wire using the formula Fbtotal= F1 + F2 + F3 + ... + Fn and the explanation includes the use of the cross product and the dot product. Ultimately, the question is whether the net force on the wire is zero due to equal and opposite forces.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, I think I am missing this problem because there is an angle invovled, but it doesn't seem to matter what angle it is from what my lecture notes say. but here's the question:
The bent wire shown in Fig. 28-39 lies in a uniform magnetic field. Each straight section is 2.1 long and makes an angle of = 62° with the x axis, and the wire carries a current of 2.0 A. What is the net magnetic force on the wire in unit-vector notation if the magnetic field is given by each of the following?
Here is the picture:
http://www.webassign.net/hrw/28-39.gif

Here is my work:
http://show.imagehosting.us/show/891660/0/nouser_891/T0_-1_891660.jpg
any ehelp would be great! :smile:

THe formula states: Fbtotal= F1 + F2 + F3 + ... + Fn then it says: F = I(L1 + L2 +...+Ln) x B

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Right, the angle comes in with the cross product at the end..

can you expland that explanation alittle more? How do you apply the cross product with the angle? I know the dot product has like AB = cos/|A||B| but i never heard of one for the cross product of A B.

The magnitude of [itex]\vec A \times \vec B[/itex] is [itex]AB \sin {\theta}[/itex].

Wouldn't both the forces be equal and just opposite in direction therefor the net force is zero??

1. What is the formula for calculating the angle effect on net magnetic force?

The formula for calculating the angle effect on net magnetic force is Fnet = F1 + F2 + 2F1F2cosθ, where F1 and F2 are the individual magnetic forces and θ is the angle between them.

2. How does the angle between magnetic forces affect the net magnetic force?

The angle between magnetic forces affects the net magnetic force by determining the magnitude and direction of the resultant force. When the angle is 0 or 180 degrees, the forces are parallel and the net force is at its maximum. As the angle increases, the net force decreases until it reaches 90 degrees, where the forces are perpendicular and the net force is 0.

3. What is the significance of the angle effect on net magnetic force in real-life applications?

The angle effect on net magnetic force is significant in many real-life applications, such as in electric motors and generators. The angle between the magnetic forces can be adjusted to control the direction and strength of the resulting magnetic force, which is crucial for the functioning of these devices.

4. How can the angle effect on net magnetic force be calculated experimentally?

The angle effect on net magnetic force can be calculated experimentally by using a force sensor to measure the individual magnetic forces and a protractor to measure the angle between them. The data can then be plugged into the formula Fnet = F1 + F2 + 2F1F2cosθ to calculate the net force.

5. What happens to the net magnetic force when the angle between the magnetic forces is 90 degrees?

When the angle between the magnetic forces is 90 degrees, the net magnetic force is 0. This means that the two magnetic forces are canceling each other out and there is no resulting force. This is also known as a state of equilibrium, where the forces are balanced and there is no change in motion.