Solving Integral of (e^3x)cos(2x) and Cos(sqrt.x)

• Thread starter ludi_srbin
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about finding the integral of (e^3x)cos(2x) and cos(sqrt.x). The person tried using integration by parts and different trig identities, but it was getting more complicated. They eventually found the solution using integration by parts and also learned the derivative of cos(2x) using the chain rule.
ludi_srbin

Homework Statement

I need to find the integral of (e^3x)cos(2x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using different trig identities for cos(2x) to get a better equation and then tried to do few versions using the integration by parts but they all kept getting more complicated.

Also I need to find cos(sqrt.x). I am not sure how to do the integration by parts since I have only one piece of equation. Just setting X^1/2=u won't work couse du part has x in it which I can't take out of the integral.

Physics news on Phys.org
I solved the second one but the first one is still killing me.

Use integration by parts, several times(I think twice will do it) for the first one. I think integration by parts might work for the second one too(try integrating 1*dx and differentiation cos(x1/2 when you do integration by parts), but I'm not completely sure that will work.

d_leet said:
Use integration by parts, several times(I think twice will do it) for the first one. I think integration by parts might work for the second one too(try integrating 1*dx and differentiation cos(x1/2 when you do integration by parts), but I'm not completely sure that will work.

Got the first one too. Thanks for the help. It would help if we actually learned the derivative of cos(2x), but since we didn't and it is nowhere in the book I just assumed we don't need to use it. Well...I certainly do feel better now.:smile:

ludi_srbin said:
Got the first one too. Thanks for the help. It would help if we actually learned the derivative of cos(2x), but since we didn't and it is nowhere in the book I just assumed we don't need to use it. Well...I certainly do feel better now.:smile:

Glad to help, as for the derivative of cos(2x), if you know the derivative of cos(x) and the chain rule you can work out the derivative of cos(2x).

So we have

y=cos(2x)
if u = 2x then
y=cos(u) and
dy/dx={d[cos(u)]/du}*{du/dx}
y'=-sin(u)*{du/dx}
and remember that u=2x so
y'=-sin(2x)*{d[2x]/dx}
y'=-2sin(2x)

d_leet said:
Glad to help, as for the derivative of cos(2x), if you know the derivative of cos(x) and the chain rule you can work out the derivative of cos(2x).

So we have

y=cos(2x)
if u = 2x then
y=cos(u) and
dy/dx={d[cos(u)]/du}*{du/dx}
y'=-sin(u)*{du/dx}
and remember that u=2x so
y'=-sin(2x)*{d[2x]/dx}
y'=-2sin(2x)

Yup. Today in class I realized how stupid was what I wrote here last night. :blushing:

I guess, for some reason, I assumed that because there is that 2x regular cos formula for derivative doesen't apply.

Thanks for help. I appreciate it.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to solve problems related to finding the total change or accumulation of a function over a given interval.

2. How do you solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you need to use techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. These methods help to simplify the integral and convert it into a form that can be easily solved using basic integration rules.

3. What is the function e^3x?

The function e^3x is an exponential function where the base is the mathematical constant e (approximately equal to 2.718) and the exponent is 3x. It represents the growth or decay of a quantity over time, and is commonly used in calculus and other areas of mathematics.

4. How do you integrate e^3x cos(2x)?

To integrate e^3x cos(2x), you can use the integration by parts method. First, you need to split the function into two parts: e^3x and cos(2x). Then, use the integration by parts formula to solve the integral by taking the antiderivatives of each part and rearranging the terms.

5. What is the significance of solving an integral?

Solving an integral has many applications in mathematics and science. It allows us to find the total change or accumulation of a function, which can be used to solve problems related to physics, economics, and engineering. Integrals also help us to understand the behavior of functions and their relationships with other functions.