Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I gram-schmidtt ortogonalization method false?.

1. Aug 13, 2003 #1
    In fact is suposed that with gthe G-s method from any series of function you can construct and ortonormal methods..but what would happen when applied to the set of functions {x**n+y**n, with n=1,2,3...}?..in fact with this set you can not construct an orthonormal series.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2003 #2

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

this is a strange question, eljose. I think you know the answer
    so tell me if what I say is right:

the G-S process allows one to construct an ON basis from a general basis.

If one starts with {1, x2,....,x2n,....}

this will result in an ON basis not of ALL the functions, say on the unit interval, but only a basis of the EVEN functions
    f(-x) = f(x)
    and the even functions are a vectorspace, a subspace of the whole, and you will get an ON basis of that subspace.

You always get an ON basis of the vectorspace which is SPANNED by the original set.

Likewise your set only spans a certain subspace to start with.
    So GS will give you an ON basis of that subspace.

4. Aug 18, 2003 #3
    answer?..

In fact i do not know if you take the set of functions (x**n+y**n with n=1,2,3....}..would you have an ortonormal set of functions in a given interval?.such us (-11)..well then try to expand the xy function in this set...¡it is imposbile¡..

5. Aug 18, 2003 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Did you not understand what Marcus wrote? If you start with any set of functions and apply the Gram-Schmidt orthogonalization process, you will wind up with an orthonormal set of functions that spans the SAME SUBSPACE of all functions as the original set spanned.
    You cannot expand "xy" with the orthonormal set because you could not do it with the original set.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?