Moving: Pros & Cons of My Dream Place

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, the woman is considering moving to save money, but her children want to move in with her to save money as well. She's looking at two apartments and one has a steep staircase and large window, while the other has a attached two car garage and kitchen. The problem is that she'll have to pay for the added rent and her children want the one with the bathtub.

Loren Booda said:
Listen to Monique, Evo. Double check your blood pressure with your doctor. I believe the cuff is supposed to be held at heart-height.

Set aside a couple of hours for relaxation exercises. Treat yourself to some fruit.

Try not to ingest sodium, alcohol and caffeine in excess. Replace cigarettes with gentle physical exercise (like isometrics, which can be done anywhere).

Wishing you a fantastic wonderland for a yard, and a resplendent 2BR, too.

i believe you also need to have a cuff appropriate to your arm size and place the tube over the brachial artery.

also, would like to re-echo the concerns here. that BP is dangerously high. talk to your doc about it. hopefully your kidneys haven't shut down or something else bad.

Physics news on Phys.org

Loren Booda said:
Replace cigarettes with gentle physical exercise (like isometrics, which can be done anywhere).

Evo, doesn't smoke. But I think her BP goes up just before she gets fed up and tazes the smoker neighbors next door.

Just noticed Evo has her own "tag" below. :approve:

Monique said:
Nooooo! You cannot feel whether your bloodpressure goes down! And you have a suspected high bp and an escrutiating headache? Please do something, I don't want you suffering a stroke.

Exactly why it's called "the silent killer."

The doctor requires us to take our BP every day before medication and for my husband throughout the day x2.

I'd definitely get it checked up a few times, if you had a blood pressure that high, there's a risk that you've got an elevated blood pressure all the time, which can cause long-term damage. There's very effective medication against it with minimal bieffects (although there's a lot to go through before they give it to you). High blood pressure can also indicate a number of problems (primarily kidney obstructions and aorta obstructions, I believe).

Evo,

One more brick on the cart to say drop everything and go right now to get this checked.

You are a smart cookie and can make decisions by yourself, its true, but you cannot 'feel' your BP and not everyone knows how critical those levels are.

As was pointed out above, if those readings are true, there is real risk of stroke and organ damage. The doc who took them should have taken direct action at that moment regardless of what capacity he was operating in.

Here's a link: http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/guide/frequently-asked-questions"

and the pertinent extract:

5. How Do I Know if I Have High Blood Pressure?
High blood pressure often doesn't have any symptoms, so you usually don't feel it. For that reason, hypertension is usually diagnosed by a health care professional on a routine visit. This is especially important if you have a close relative who has hypertension or embody risk factors for it.

If your blood pressure is extremely high, you may have unusually strong headaches, chest pain, and heart failure (especially difficulty breathing and poor exercise tolerance). If you have any of these symptoms, seek treatment immediately.

Hope all is well for you Evo. But don't fool around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks everyone for the concern. I am on BP medicine. The problem is my BP tends to have huge swings, sometimes it drops very low. I'm definitely getting a home BP machine so I can monitor it closer and if it seems to be running consistently high, I'm going to request that they increase the dosage.

Good news, Evo. BP needs monitoring, and you should keep a chart that you can take to your medical exams. If you want, you can write the readings on an old calendar (the day of the week doesn't matter, just the daily readings and the trends). You don't want to lose random functions, abilities, or sensations to a stroke (please take my word on this one!). Be well.

turbo-1 said:
... If you want, you can write the readings on an old calendar (the day of the week doesn't matter, just the daily readings and the trends). You don't want to lose random functions, abilities, or sensations to a stroke (please take my word on this one!). Be well.

Good advice for someone experiencing problems.

For anyone with no problems, for example the many young healthy college students that come here, I recommend donating blood. Aside from the good altruistic deed you will be doing, you will get a blood-donor card with a record of your BP recorded every 8 weeks (if you give on time).

To highlight why this is important, I'll give a personal example. Although I donated blood, just to do a good deed, it turned out to be important for me because I had a clear record of my BP once I came down with a kidney disease. The doc measured 185/120, which was quite alarming, but his first question was what my past history was. I would have had no idea if I did not donate blood - hell, I didn't even know normal number range back then. However, I was able to take the donor card right out of my wallet and show it to him. It turned out my typical blood pressure before had been a consistent 90/60 (quite low). This told the doctor something different than if I had a natural borderline high BP of 140/80, for example.

Yes, you can buy your own BP machine and write it on a card, but that costs money and let's face it, you won't keep the card in your pocket. Plus, you won't get free cookies if you do it that way. :tongue2:

Oops, ... it looks like I just made a commercial. Oh well, so be it.

turbo-1 said:
Good news, Evo. BP needs monitoring, and you should keep a chart that you can take to your medical exams. If you want, you can write the readings on an old calendar (the day of the week doesn't matter, just the daily readings and the trends). You don't want to lose random functions, abilities, or sensations to a stroke (please take my word on this one!). Be well.
I bought a monitor from Walgreens for about $30 and it has a memory feature that allows you to store 96 measurements with date and time stamps.

dlgoff said:
I bought a monitor from Walgreens for about $30 and it has a memory feature that allows you to store 96 measurements with date and time stamps.
That's a nice feature. My wife has a rather primitive electronic meter that gives pretty repeatable results but still, the readings need to written down to establish trends so the doctor can adjust her meds.

Evo said:
Thanks everyone for the concern. I am on BP medicine. The problem is my BP tends to have huge swings, sometimes it drops very low. I'm definitely getting a home BP machine so I can monitor it closer and if it seems to be running consistently high, I'm going to request that they increase the dosage.

then it may not the the right strength, or the right med at all---I'd present that to the doctor next time you see him/her

When I worked in Psych, the adjusting of the strength of the different meds was often the most beneficial thing, ---counseling came in second place---so, take up meditation, too.

Last edited:

:confused: I can't believe it. Did you at least get it re-measured in the few days that have already passed?

Monique said:
:confused: I can't believe it. Did you at least get it re-measured in the few days that have already passed?

e

v

o

:cry:

She must have.

rewebster said:
then it may not the the right strength, or the right med at all---I'd present that to the doctor next time you see him/her

Agreed. I don't know what treatment you're taking, but there are at least three mainstream medications that may work well on their own, or have to be synergized by each other - Calcium inhibitors, ACE inhibitors and beta inhibitors. I eat calcium and ACE inhibitors myself, 10 milligrams a day. I have rather absurdly high blood pressure for my age (170/95 in a 17-year-old, good going).

TubbaBlubba said:
... there are at least three mainstream medications that may work well on their own, or have to be synergized by each other - Calcium inhibitors, ACE inhibitors and beta inhibitors...

Similar to ACE inhibitors are ACE blockers. I started on ACE inhibitors and experienced some side effects, even though they are supposed to have few of those. I had much better luck with the ACE blockers. The main difference is that the blocker simply binds to the enzyme and effectively deactivates it, while the inhibitor tries to prevent the manufacture of the enzyme. (at least that is a simple explanation from a layman to a layman)

I simply mention this for the benefit of anyone who tried, and did not like ACE inhibitors. There is another option available now.

stevenb said:
Similar to ACE inhibitors are ACE blockers. I started on ACE inhibitors and experienced some side effects, even though they are supposed to have few of those. I had much better luck with the ACE blockers. The main difference is that the blocker simply binds to the enzyme and effectively deactivates it, while the inhibitor tries to prevent the manufacture of the enzyme. (at least that is a simple explanation from a layman to a layman)

I simply mention this for the benefit of anyone who tried, and did not like ACE inhibitors. There is another option available now.
I think you're referring to ARB:s, which plug the Angiotensin receptor rather than inhibiting the Angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE).

(Also, Calcium inhibitor was a bit inaccurate on my part - Calcium channel blocker would be correct)

I've been on several BP meds and all had bad side effects. I'm on an angiotensin II receptor antagonist with a thiazide diuretic. I don't seem to have any side effects from it. Well, exccept that now i am on potassium supplements from a deadly loss of potasium. I scored a 1 on a scale of 1-4 and had to be given intravenous potassium in the ER.

But wikipedia says this
No benefits seen for
A large randomized trial following 4100+ men and women with heart failure and normal ejection fraction (>=45%) over 4+ years found no improvement in study outcomes or survival with irbesartan as compared to placebo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irbesartan

Evo said:
I've been on several BP meds and all had bad side effects. I'm on an angiotensin II receptor antagonist with a thiazide diuretic. I don't seem to have any side effects from it. Well, exccept that now i am on potassium supplements from a deadly loss of potasium. I scored a 1 on a scale of 1-4 and had to be given intravenous potassium in the ER.

But wikipedia says this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irbesartan

You lost the potassium due to the diuretic? Ouch!

I hope you find a set of medication that works for you.

TubbaBlubba said:
I hope you find a set of medication that works for you.

We all hope. But I guess she is looking for a correct one for several years, and knowing Evo correct one just doesn't exist. She is in general... different.

Sometimes I wonder if she is not an alien.

Borek said:
We all hope. But I guess she is looking for a correct one for several years, and knowing Evo correct one just doesn't exist. She is in general... different.

Sometimes I wonder if she is not an alien.

if she moved to Poland without the right papers, she would be

Evo said:
I don't want to, I love my place. It's my dream place. But my older daughter, the Spawn of Evo, has just moved in with her dad to save money, and now my youngest, Evo Child wants to move in with me to save money and cut down an almost 100 mile daily commute.

The problem is that I have a 1 bedroom apartment now and we'll need two bedrooms if she moves in.

We've been looking at the 2 bedroom apts here in my complex, and they are gorgeous, but there are pros and cons to each, the worst for me is that I will leave my ravine with the babbling brook and the beautiful stone arch over my patio and my squirrels and bunnies.

More to follow on the pros and cons of the two units we're considering.

One has no kitchen space, but a gorgeous garden bath that is to die for and a huge living room. It has no garages though, and no nearby parking.

The other has an attached two car garage, a large kitchen, and a lot of windows. Unfortunately it has a very steep staircase that ends in a tiled floor and a large window in front. This means I will tumble down the stairs, bounce off the tile and fly through the glass window. Evo Child is terrified. She estimates I will kill myself in less than a week.
and
Evo said:

Ok. Here's my last post to you. Seems like you are going to consult with your doctor. That's good news!

Thanks for bringing up this topic. Hey, lookie what I found. High blood pressure (hypertension) - Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER):

8. Reduce your stress
Stress or anxiety can temporarily increase blood pressure. Take some time to think about what causes you to feel stressed, such as work, family, finances or illness. Once you know what's causing your stress, consider how you can eliminate or reduce stress.

If you can't eliminate all of your stressors, you can at least cope with them in a healthier way. Take breaks for deep-breathing exercises. Get a massage or take up yoga or meditation. If self-help doesn't work, seek out a professional for counseling.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-blood-pressure/HI00027/NSECTIONGROUP=2

There's a great article, The Science of Heartache by Amy Sutherland, that covers stress hormones.
http://www.womenshealthmag.com/sex-and-relationships/heart-hurts

Evo, you earlier mentioned having a very bad headache. Interesting article here too about stress and headaches: http://www.jci.org/articles/view/41508?key=JtWzBvLn9C3r9GYN8BN8

I like what Gary Lewandowski, Ph.D. said, "Whatever cheers the mind may help cure the body.":smile: Wishing you the happiness you deserve. :smile:

Last edited:

We started moving yesterday. I'm worthless, I can't lift or bend. Evo Child and her BF are exhausted, and we still have an entire household (mine) to move. Evo Child also hurt her back. The fibers in the air from the new carpet and the paint fumes from my bathroom have made my eyes swell up and burn, and I can't stop sneezing. I did take some allergy meds, but they don't help much.

NO cabinets in the kitchen, insane, so I bought a nice shelving unit so I can turn the hall closet into a pantry. Says, "no tools required". Then you need a wrench and a rubber mallet (disclaimer is that these are *suggested*, as in "if you want to assemble this, we *suggest* you have the following tools".

Evo said:
The fibers in the air from the new carpet and the paint fumes from my bathroom have made my eyes swell up and burn, and I can't stop sneezing. I did take some allergy meds, but they don't help much.
:eek: On a day like today with temps in the 90s, opening the windows and using a fan to blow the stuff out wouldn't be an option?

dlgoff said:
:eek: On a day like today with temps in the 90s, opening the windows and using a fan to blow the stuff out wouldn't be an option?
It would be if I wanted to add heat stroke to the list.

After 3 hours and constant setbacks, I am proud to have achieved a major milestone in assembling my shelves, all four posts are upright.

Unfortunately the little plastic brackets are too small to snap around the posts, and as a result they won't fit into the holes in the corners of the shelf, so if a fly lands on it, it will topple over again.

[PLAIN]http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/8371/017qa.jpg

Evo said:
It would be if I wanted to add heat stroke to the list.
:rofl:
Evo said:
After 3 hours and constant setbacks, I am proud to have achieved a major milestone in assembling my shelves, all four posts are upright.[/PLAIN]
Stop there. It's perfect for your new
knurr-mec20056_small.jpg

network.

Evo said:
After 3 hours and constant setbacks, I am proud to have achieved a major milestone in assembling my shelves, all four posts are upright.

Unfortunately the little plastic brackets are too small to snap around the posts, and as a result they won't fit into the holes in the corners of the shelf, so if a fly lands on it, it will topple over again.

[PLAIN]http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/8371/017qa.jpg[/QUOTE] Looks a bit like a medieval torture rack. :uhh:

:biggrin:

Aren't the 4 legs supposed to be parallel?

TubbaBlubba said:
You lost the potassium due to the diuretic? Ouch!

Yep, I take prescription potassium -- Apo-K 600 mg -- to off-set loss as a result of a diuretic.

dlgoff said:
:rofl:

Stop there. It's perfect for your new
knurr-mec20056_small.jpg

network.
The link doesn't work.

Astronuc said:
Looks a bit like a medieval torture rack. :uhh:

:biggrin:

Aren't the 4 legs supposed to be parallel?
:grumpy:

Evo said:
He thought his gauge had malfunctioned, so he took it several times with two gauges.

I can tell I don't feel right. I took 2 mg of ativan when I got home in addition to my BP med. This wasn't my normal doctor.

What sort of doctors do you have in your area? First you have one put you on a diuretic without monitoring potassium until you were at dangerously low levels (potassium monitoring is standard for patients on diuretics), and then this one let you walk out after confirming a BP reading that high? I think you need to start bringing a lawyer with you on your doctor's visits. I've never heard of someone walking out the door of a doctor's office with a BP that high. Generally, they are transported out by ambulance to the nearest hospital ER!

If all these doctors trained at the same med school, I'd start looking for a doctor who trained somewhere else.

Moonbear said:
What sort of doctors do you have in your area? First you have one put you on a diuretic without monitoring potassium until you were at dangerously low levels (potassium monitoring is standard for patients on diuretics), and then this one let you walk out after confirming a BP reading that high? I think you need to start bringing a lawyer with you on your doctor's visits. I've never heard of someone walking out the door of a doctor's office with a BP that high. Generally, they are transported out by ambulance to the nearest hospital ER!

If all these doctors trained at the same med school, I'd start looking for a doctor who trained somewhere else.

That second doctor was for a company paid physical, he didn't even have a nurse. He's not supposed to share any diagnosis or give me medical advice, but I think this is a bit too much. Thanks for the feedback from everyone about this reading, I am going to make a complaint with the company.

The first doctor is my regular doctor, I know he's laid back and doesn't follow up. His nurse apparently realized this and a few months ago when my blood work was so bad, (not the potassium, the ER caught that, this was something else) the next time I came in she handed me a copy of it and said "this is serious", did he tell you this is serious? Uhm, no.

Evo said:
That second doctor was for a company paid physical, he didn't even have a nurse. He's not supposed to share any diagnosis or give me medical advice, but I think this is a bit too much. Thanks for the feedback from everyone about this reading, I am going to make a complaint with the company.

The first doctor is my regular doctor, I know he's laid back and doesn't follow up. His nurse apparently realized this and a few months ago when my blood work was so bad, (not the potassium, the ER caught that, this was something else) the next time I came in she handed me a copy of it and said "this is serious", did he tell you this is serious? Uhm, no.

:bugeye:

It's been approximately 26 days since last I posted (#163) to this topic. Evo, you gave me the impression that you were going to see your primary care doctor and 'request that they increase the [BP medicine] dosage' and get a BP machine since I last posted here. Just wondering if you did see your primary care doctor since last I posted here? You just now stated, "The first doctor is my regular doctor, I know he's laid back and doesn't follow up. His nurse apparently realized this and a few months ago when my blood work was so bad, (not the potassium, the ER caught that, this was something else) the next time I came in she handed me a copy of it and said "this is serious", did he tell you this is serious? Uhm, no."

Evo, now you mention, "The fibers in the air from the new carpet and the paint fumes from my bathroom have made my eyes swell up and burn, and I can't stop sneezing. I did take some allergy meds, but they don't help much." Oh my! If I am in a field of weeds hiking, I have to take a tablet of over the counter Allergy Relief D though my primary care physician has prescribed an inhaler if I need it. I get to decide when I think I need it. That inhaler has lasted over a year and a half. I rarely need it. I try to avoid weeds when possible. :biggrin: I hope all goes well with your health issues.

Looks like you and your daughter moved in! :biggrin: Building shelves, eh? Lol, I just finished painting a metallic Venetian Gold on the trim of three freshly painted "Seattle Red" wooden shelves. Venetian Gold under my nails as I type this. :biggrin:

Moonbear, you said to Evo, “I think you need to start bringing a lawyer with you on your doctor's visits.” I’m curious, how many lawyers do you know that do that? How much do they charge the client? I’ve never known a lawyer to escort a patient to a doctor’s office nor have I ever heard a doctor mention that a patient was escorted by a lawyer to his/her office.